The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Location of the car number and chassis plate
Hi-- I have a 1934 RP box saloon and I need to know the exact location where i should be looking for the car number and chassis number plates . I ordered reproduction plates and i want to install in the correct position. I know these plate presently do not exist on my car and i can not find the place where there would be 4 holes where they would be mounted.  Where exactly is the car number , I thought i read something about behind the hand brake . Could that be explained and how hard is that to find , if memory is correct it will start with the letter B . Thanks for all the help i have received seeing that i am in the US you guys are my lifeline.
http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf

The body number on the transmission tunnel rearward of the hand brake is just a stamping into the panel.

Hopefully the info you seek is in the brochure above.
I think Gregg is talking about the ali plates that are rivetted onto the side of the bulkhead on the passenger side. If that is the case, they can be seen in this image pinched from a Robin Lawson listing...

.jpg   plates.jpg (Size: 46.12 KB / Downloads: 220)
Thanks -- I had seen this earlier but the location wasnt called out exactly. Thanks again I appreciated your response.
Three rivets in total. Chassis plate on right, car number plate on left. Chassis plate on top of car number plate. Centre rivet locates both. Photos are of my 1933 RP saloon.

Click on the picture and it should be the right way up. As far as I can tell these are the original plates. Repro ones are more rounded on the corners.

Original rivets are flat headed (I think they are brass) - see photo:

Thanks for the info . I located them and they were painted over and I missed them while looking the first time.
Great news that you’ve found the originals, mine were covered in layers of paint and careful cleaning with solvent revealed the originals...a bit battered, but all the better for it, in my view!