The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accessories
What one has to remember is that in the ‘30’s, £1 was the equivalent to about £100 in today’s (devalued) currency.
David Stepney: What one has to remember is that in the ‘30’s, £1 was the equivalent to about £100 in today’s (devalued) currency.

The £1 in 1935 being nearly £100 today is an "Inflation" figure, using the alternative "Consumer Price Index", the figure comes at about £56 - not as much fun!

On the more exciting basis of £100, here is today's new accessory price list: The oil filler looks to be excellent value and, if Duncan can make and sell them for that, good luck! The inspection lamp? Just a tad overpriced.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I wonder how many owners in the day laid out for a set of Nobby's only to discover them pushing the rear seat off its mountings because they had gone through the floor.
I did try a pair but couldn't get on with them.
Using the inflation figure of  £1 in 1935 being nearly £100 today, interestingly, the cheapest new car is the Dacia Sandero at £12,595 - equal to £125 in 1935 - the price of a Ruby. Unfortunately not the bottom-of-the-range £100 2-seater, that does elude us.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dacia are currently offering a "Prime à la conversion" deal for anyone trading in a diesel vehicle registered prior to 2011, with a trade in value of 4K€, making the price of a base model Sandero on the road for 7490€.... in France, of course. Offer ends 28/02.
One has to be very careful when measuring the value of an item in today's money.
See below and have a play! It's complex.

https://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ukcompare/

Reckers.
I believe my daughter in Sallanches, in the French Alps, has availed herself of this deal on a Dacia Duster.
I have to admit that a Sandero or a Duster would be tempting, if I was in the market for something new, but I'm not. Mainly because when I look at new car prices I say to myself "How much!"

I'll stick to my old stuff.
A wonderful document - especially the examples given of the cost of bells and WW1. I was also interested to see the comparison of the wages of physicians. While dentists are very well paid today, until WW2 my maternal grandfather dentist had two full-time, live-in maids, ran new Chrysler cars, had fishing rights on a river and a country cottage - and managed to employ three of his sons as well. Different times - and largely based on fitting false teeth. And no, I didn't inherit a penny!

(23-02-2023, 04:16 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: I have to admit that a Sandero or a Duster would be tempting, if I was in the market for something new, but I'm not. Mainly because when I look at new car prices I say to myself "How much!"

I'll stick to my old stuff.

I bet those long-life diesel are then shipped out to Africa - or wherever - at a good profit.
Probably, Tony. The PSA XUD derived diesel units are pretty unburstable if properly looked after. My 28 yr old C15 van has about 300,000km on the clock and it sailed through its biannual pollution check last month. There's life in the old "bagnole" yet. Same for my 22 yr old Merc diesel. 280,000km and just nicely run in.
(24-02-2023, 09:04 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Probably, Tony. The PSA XUD derived diesel units are pretty unburstable if properly looked after. My 28 yr old C15 van has about 300,000km on the clock and it sailed through its biannual pollution check last month. There's life in the old "bagnole" yet. Same for my 22 yr old Merc diesel. 280,000km and just nicely run in.

300,000 km in a C15 van - that's some going! Well done.