The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accessories
Steve, the funnel extension sounds like a good idea, what would one look like? Is that a pic of a J.A.R one (or Eversure on a Chummy) a bit further up this page (1), in cast aluminium? If not, do you have pics of a worked example? Dimesions? I'm not at all familiar with the magneto engine...
I assume it would need a seal of some sort, perhaps an O ring in a groove?
My Eversure is cast aluminium. The 'locking' system involves doing up the nut that can be seen above the gauze which pulls a tapered 'plug' up into the base, expanding it to fit in the crankcase..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks, that is most helpful.
The one in Tony's first illustration is fabricated from steel plate and should be an ideal prototype for you, Duncan; it's retained by a bolt that replaces the original filler clip.
(19-02-2023, 09:58 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Being a happy customer for a wing tank, Duncan, might one suggest that your next project is the extension funnel for magneto engine oil filling? Malcolm, I am most impressed by your navvying accessories, never seen any before. Nav  rallying in a Frogeye or MGB used the Halda, in a twin cylinder Visa was a combination of a stopwatch and desparate  guesswork. In Austin Sevens driving as fast as one dared was about right, never arrived early at a TC. Did you really have sections intended for 26 mph on a Measham? How your navvy ever nodded off is a mystery, I would have thuoght that at such a pace through the frosty night they would have been overwhelmed by Adrenalin and barely able to sleep for days afterwards.

I did the Measham Rally many times during the period 1990 to about 2010, initially as a navigator in a ponderous Austin 12 tourer which was far too slow especially up the hills.   Later I entered my Austin 7 Ulsteroid, based on a shortened Ruby chassis.   Because it was registered in 1936 the VSCC regarded it as a Post-Vintage car, quite correctly.   In those days the Measham Rally had two average speed classes, one for vintage cars and the other, faster speeds, for the post vintage cars and IIRC the sportier vintage stuff.  The fast speed class also used a longer route, typically about 180 miles instead of 160 for the slower cars.  So I was in with the fastest cars, even though my Austin 7 was no quicker than a good vintage Chummy or Ulsteroid.   In those days a Measham route would take in every usable 'white road' on the map and certainly every ford.   Usually a good 10% of the route mileage could be unmade roads.   Maintaining the average speeds was well nigh impossible in an Austin but some of the top drivers managed in cars like the Alvis 12/50 or Frazer Nash.
Some sections were at an average speed of 26 mph.  Later I started using the 1931 saloon and that was much more relaxed and comfortable, as well as being in the slower speed class.    The last Measham I did I was driving in my shirt sleeves it was so cosy in the car.  I think my navigator still nodded off at about 4.00am!
After I started using the average speed rings on the dashboard clock one of the other navigators had obviously been sussing it out and shortly afterwards one of the big Vauxhall 30/98's appeared with a huge version mounted directly behind the steering wheel.   Instead of having separate rings for each speed, this version had about a dozen concentric rings on a disc about 12" diameter.  I don't think they featured in the awards!
This is probably the other stop light you saw at Moreton Steve, on the rear of my Chummy. It appears identical to yours with no makers name. 

Gordon
The diameter of the hole on the crankcase would help… could someone measure it for me please?

The diameter of the hole on the crankcase would help… could someone measure it for me please?
Here's another oil filler by Price's Motorine. It has a spring loaded cover operated by the rod. [attachment=20919][attachment=20920]
Is the Price's device just to provide easier access for filling, being taken out and replaced by the standard cover for normal use? It dose not look suitable to stay in place allowing crud to fall down the hole.
It stays in place Robert. The wire is spring loaded with a cover over the hole inside the funnel . You pull it back against the spring and lock it open to fill and then release it to close.