The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sump & Axle drain Plug
Yesterday having drained my sump I refitted the brass drain plug only for it to shear the plug thread. Luckily I was able to unscrew the sheared portion of the thread. 

My question is what is the thread of the sump drain plug which also the same thread as the axle drain?

To avoid a further issues I'm looking at purchasing a steel drain plug.
I’d rather strip the thread on the brass sump plug than strip the thread in the sump itself.

Charles
Hi

I’m with Charles on this.  Your original brass plug may well have been replaced at some time with a near thread match (possibly BSP?).  The Austin thread is not a standard thread.  I’d replace with a brass one from our Cherished suppliers if possible.

Cheers

Howard
Howard the drain plug thread is an Admiralty thread if the thread in sump/axle/ gearbox is damaged or stripped can be tapped 1/2 BSP and a flanged 1/2 bsp plug can be used or a 1/2bsp taper plug. Terry.
(18-02-2023, 12:38 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: Howard the drain plug thread is an Admiralty thread if the thread in sump/axle/ gearbox is damaged or stripped can be tapped 1/2 BSP and a flanged 1/2 bsp plug can be used or a 1/2bsp taper plug.  Terry.

Thanks Terry

I remember in the past considering this as 1/2 BSP plugs are cheaper than correct Admiralty ones but was a bit put off by the cost of the tap. I bit the bullet and bought one from the Cherished suppliers.

Cheers

Howard
i use steel plugs for exactly this reason. But don't overtighten them...
Thumbs Up 
Thanks for the replies, 

The Admiralty thread explains why my gearbox has a 1/2 bsp Taper plug that will not enter the axle or the sump. 

I'll buy a new plug and some more washers from one of our cherished suppliers.