The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Paint
At some point I am going to refurb the front suspension. Many cars I see and loads of photos seem to use a glossy black paint, although some look more satin in finish (not matt). The area in question is a mixture of black paint and rust - in other words standard A7.

What is recommended to refinish? Do I need to sand-blast it before re-painting? Is there a primer free product? Is brushed or sprayed the best?
Powder coat, its bomb proof.
Could be expensive Bluebird? Do the coaters normally sand/bead blast as part of the service??
Blasters and powder coaters generally work hand in glove, up here in Norfolk had loads of A7 Ruby stuff blasted at about £100
and same roughly for the p/coating, black is 'always in the gun', other colours may cost more.

It certainly looks the business. The car looks great. I will investigate with the local powder coaters. Thanks for your thoughts.
I even had the 4 wings powder coated, and the bumpers in silver/chrome powder for £90 as full plating was going to £650 & I paid less than double that for the car.
Black Hammerite is good enough for me! But I'm not exactly the 'show' type...
My wings were brush painted with Craftmaster enamel & it's lasted well.
Frost Restoration stock a variety of satin and gloss chassis black paint for brush or spray.

https://www.frost.co.uk/paints/
I paint the bodywork over and under the car with professional two pack refinish material (I have an air fed respirator and extraction) the mechanical bits I cover with smooth black Hammerite, it’s always worked well for me, the car is used all year round and I don’t do much cleaning and polishing, just driving!
Thanks All - I think I will enquire about the powder coating, obviously all parts at the same time!!! I paid £80 locally for a windscreen frame to be powder coated gloss black (£400 for chroming). Failing that it might be smooth or satin Hammerite. I do have a sand-blasting attachment for my Karcher power washer so might give that a try on some small parts to see how well it works first.