The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old pictures
(16-02-2023, 10:31 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(16-02-2023, 09:08 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: By the way, what’s happened to the river test, is it in a tunnel now?

Looking on google streetview the river bridge is still there, but will be just behind the camera on the modern photo on here.

This is pretty much the same spot (although the Google camera is higher giving a slightly different perspective)...

The bridge wall on the right seems unchanged, the one on the left has been replaced by a metal fence and a footpath, narrowing the road. 

The roadsign just over the bridge in the old picture is now 25 yards closer to the roundabout.
I think the road width is the same, it looks like the footpath and fence have been added outside the original bridge wall which is still there.
Ah, that’s good news, I thought they might have buried the Test!
Yes the B3400 does come off of the A34 as it heads north but literally only feet. That roundabout even in my lifetime (73 years) has had many connotations going from twenty something feet across to a white spot in the middle, of the road. Gradually being reduced after each brake failing lorry descending Newbury hill smashed into another shop. The Whitchurch by-pass was well received in the 1970’s
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(17-02-2023, 09:02 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I think the road width is the same, it looks like the footpath and fence have been added outside the original bridge wall which is still there.

Ah yes, you're right. The wall has been reduced in height by removing half the rows of bricks and replacing the top. The stone/concrete bollard has also gone although, from the reverse direction, you can see the one on the other side of the river is still there.

.jpg   2021-07-WhitchurchHants-reverse-s.jpg (Size: 111.77 KB / Downloads: 369)

The perspective makes the opposite wall look not so high but it is actually unchanged. I think this is as close as I can get using Google...

.jpg   Whitchurch-original-s.jpg (Size: 45.74 KB / Downloads: 368)  
.jpg   2021-07-WhitchurchHants-2-s.jpg (Size: 73.53 KB / Downloads: 367)

Anyway, thanks to Derek for the original post. If I've ever been to Whitchurch it can't have been for years; it looks nice, I must pop up there sometime!
A bit of an advert for Whitchurch, there is a very nice Working Silk mill to visit and of course the Bombay Sapphire distillery just a couple of miles up the road in Laverstoke. It’s a very small town with some nice buildings, pubs etc.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
An earlier picture of the area and the reason that the bypass was built. The lorry is in the building on the n/s of the seven in the original picture

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

From another website. It’s PWA7C calendar 1980s, the Peak Trial 1976 and it’s me!

Attached Files
.jpeg   AD424D65-E465-4A69-A88E-D64F90C3AE93.jpeg (Size: 92.62 KB / Downloads: 247)
Alan Fairless
That river test must involve the eating of loads of the Test grown watercress?? 

AND what of the very Beiderbecke inspired sessions and the wonderful
mild and bitter at the White Hart back in the 70/89's?

-don't forget Jim Thompson ran his 'Pioneer Auto's' here for quite a while.
(17-02-2023, 04:36 PM)Ian Wegg Wrote: Anyway, thanks to Derek for the original post. If I've ever been to Whitchurch it can't have been for years; it looks nice, I must pop up there sometime!
(18-02-2023, 08:18 AM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: A bit of an advert for Whitchurch, there is a very nice Working Silk mill to visit and of course the Bombay Sapphire distillery just a couple of miles up the road in Laverstoke. It’s a very small town with some nice buildings, pubs etc.

I made it today! I took these pictures this morning (although sadly without my A7 in them, it was a bit too far to drive the Chummy). What a lovely little town.

I hadn't realised that the bridge is right next to the silk mill, the River Test runs underneath and on another 200 yards to drive the water wheel.  A lovely setting in this morning's sun and a pleasant lunch.

I'll save the gin palace for a future outing.

.jpg   20230422_110531.jpg (Size: 102.37 KB / Downloads: 103)  
.jpg   20230422_111236.jpg (Size: 129.04 KB / Downloads: 104)  
.jpg   20230422_111245.jpg (Size: 155.04 KB / Downloads: 104)