The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving a Seven in modern day Traffic
My experience has been that an Austin Seven is noted, and usually treated with respect. My only two slight incidents involved people ducking into the considerable braking space left between me and the car in front. Both minor collisions caused no visible damage, and in one case a flood of apologies. Which confirms that the behaviour towards the 2CV is wholly intentional. The Citroen seems to produce hostility and serious bad behaviour, drivers pulling out of side streets or miniroundabouts, and this morning the latest example of someone driving at the 2CV on the wrong side at a chicane. When an idiot actually hits it, the damage suffered by the tubular bumpers is minimal. The last VW SUV to hit me sprayed bits of its body trim and enjoyed long gouges, the 2CV was undamaged. Other passing drivers stopped, suggested that the SUV driver was an idiot, and then everybody drove off.
I have also noticed the animosity generated by the mere existence of 2CVs, red rag/bull etc. The strongest criticism always come from people who, more often than not, have never been inside one never mind driven one!
I may have mentioned this before but there does seem to be a distinct shortening of the period between "How nice to see one out on the road" and "Why doesn't he/she put a foot down and get out of my ******way?"
With Whaley Bridge closed to through traffic for 2 months while the railway bridge is replaced I have to use the Chapel bypass to get to Buxton and at this time of the year when the vegetation has died back I could see the vast amounts of litter thrown from cars at the roadside. I expect the local authority will do a clean up soon for which they will close the nearside lane for safety which will reduce every bodies speed to that of the slowest vehicle.
My everyday drive was a 2cv, for 25+ years until relatively recently. For one reason or another mine went slightly better than standard but, driven with appreciation, even the unmodified 602cc 2cv is no slouch. I came to the conclusion that the public perception was entirely otherwise and this tempted drivers to hurl themselves from side streets and roundabouts into one's path, either because they had underestimated the speed of the 2cv's approach (vide Father Ted, "This one is small but this one is far away") or because of a terror that they might be delayed behind a "slow" car.
Luckily Citroen brakes are excellent.

I agree that it happens to a lesser extent with the Sevens* for reasons that elude me. Having said that, no cause for complacency!

Regards,

Stuart

*Although Dave's experiences around Stockport with his Seven might lead one to say, "Yes, but not in the West" (with apologies to Stephen Potter).
I got pulled for speeding in my wife’s yellow 2CV, it was a brilliant car and I loved it...what’s more I’m not a vegetarian and don’t knit my own muesli!
22cv are as rare as hen's teeth these days. I've left my mark (two burn marks in the plastic bumper paint at the same distance apart as my front wheels) on at least two moderns which have hauled out under my nose, I thought it was quite funny.
Well I drove to the Nîmes Auto Retro this morning, a round trip of just over 90 miles. Car ran perfectly. I took the "old" road to avoid the fast dual carriageway part of the N106. Driving into Nîmes and round the "rocade" (ring road) was fairly uneventful. Traffic was fairly light on the way there but heavier on the way back. I had no issues whatsoever until I got to the entrance to our village. They've done a traffic calming scheme, French-style, with chicanes speed bumps and Berlin cushions. The first obstacle (right next to the medical centre in case anything happens) is a narrowing, which restricts the flow to a single lane, with priority for incoming traffic. I was already into the narrow section when a numpty in a battered old Merc 190 decided he'd try and have a go against the priority. I don't think he could see past the end of the bonnet and we almost had a head-on. Fortunately the brakes and the horn on my RP work well and he was forced to back off and get out of the way. He did, acknowledge defeat graciously. The bloke behond him also had to back up because he also had a lack of forward observation. That's life. No-one was hurt and he'll probably take more care next time.

I did have the video on at the time so it well evidenced.

I've also got some video footage of me in action on the "old" road and in the Nîmes traffic if you're interested. Just uploading them to You-Tube
Couple of videos of last Sunday's run out. Firstly a few kms on the former N106, now downgraded to a route départmentale following the construction of a new fast dual carriageway. sorry about the low volume on the commentary.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5hLMibezBhI&feature=share

Then, on the way home, climbing out of Nimes on the N106 and mixing it with the traffic:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=llCI_5vLx-c&feature=share
Thanks for those, RR. Although the commentary was low volume, it's possible to tell that you're from Sheffield - it is odd how clipped high and low frequencies enhance one's accent, no matter how slight it might be.
What a treat, I felt as if I was there, I just love the old D roads as they are so driver friendly in the most part. The worst thing is that unless I buy a new map every year, I find that occasionally I'm pushed onto an upgraded one whether I like it or not! Thanks for taking me for a spin, can't wait 'til the summer when I'll be heading towards le Puy N-D again.