The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camshaft bearing
I have a 2 bearing crankcase in generally very good condition, which I'm contemplating using for a rebuild.
However when thoroughly cleaning it, I noticed a potential problem- advice please. The casting for the camshaft centre bearing has a hairline crack. Does this mean that the crankcase is scrap, or is this a relatively under stressed area? I'm assuming that the damage was caused removing the bearing.
Thanks
Steve
I have used a crankcase with a metal plate bolted across the crack to add strength with no issues
I have just had a crack in a Nippy centre cam bearing housing welded up by Lazer welding.
The Lazer welding did not require the actual bearing being removed as the heat is incredibly localised in short pulses.
It is an expensive process though !! But Nippy Crankcases are expensive and rare as hens teeth in good condition,
Thanks Dickie,
That's interesting, but probably not cost effective for a bog standard crankcase ?
Is it really expensive, what are we talking about ballpark?
I guess as parts become scarcer, we will be forced to go the extra mile to make parts viable. But for now, I won't use it.
Thanks for the replies .
The fact is it might be alright, but it would always be in the back of your mind. I’d get it welded.
Alan Fairless
(14-02-2023, 06:33 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I have just had a crack in a Nippy centre cam bearing housing welded up by Lazer welding.
The Lazer welding did not require the actual bearing being removed as the heat is incredibly localised in short pulses.
It is an expensive process though !! But Nippy Crankcases are expensive and rare as hens teeth in good condition,

On the subject of repairing rare and/or interesting Nippy bits I found this in a box of spares recently acquired...

.jpg   Screenshot_20230214-215730_Gallery.jpg (Size: 171.82 KB / Downloads: 121)

I think it will need a bit more than laser welding, but people rebuild WW2 aircraft from less... anyone fancy a Nippy. One careful owner from new?
Not Nippy, it's a 65 Sports!