The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for a Ruby Special
Here is the result of a bit of dreaming to pass a dreary rainy day. 
With judicious cutting of a strip 120 mm high around the body of a Ruby, a low profile Ruby coupe shown in the photo  could be obtained relatively easily. The positioning of the cut, shown in the other photo is determined by finding areas of the body where the upper and lower sections will mate together fairly closely, minimising the amount of surgery and panelbeating. 
The height of the strip, 120 mm, corresponds to the amount that the front seats can be lowered by removing the plinth that they sit on and bolting them to the floor (with appropriate stiffening pads under).  There's no simple way to lower the rear seat, so the upholstery would be removed and a parcel shelf created. Hence the Ruby becomes a coupe. 
The dashboard would remain unchanged. The steering column would have to be angled down a little. 
I would change all windows except the windscreen to acrylic and remove the winder mechanisms to save weight. As it is no longer a saloon, the rear side windows can be fixed in place. The front windows can be converted to simply being raised and lowered with a strap.
To suit my preference for appearance, I would make the crank handle removable and cut away some of the mudguard sides. I would exchange the rear number plate lamp for lower profile chromed lights each side of the number plate. 
A smaller radiator would be required. Experience with my Ruby using the 4-bladed fan indicates that losing 120 mm height from the radiator is unlikely to be a problem. It could be dropped 20 mm and then only require a 100 mm height reduction. 
The battery could be moved to the passenger side a dropped a little into the passenger foot-well. 
The small weight reduction and the lower profile would give slightly better speed and cornering.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It needs a second cut as well. Take 2 inches out of the height of the windows.
Reminiscent of a Mini Sprint.

I think the biggest challenge you would have is that the upper body would need lengthening in order to match the lower. The rear panel is never quite vertical at any point, and the scuttle is a way off. I agree with Andrew, a roof chop would help with proportions; perhaps 90mm out of the bottom, 30mm from the windows. All good fun.

.jpeg   download (7).jpeg (Size: 11.86 KB / Downloads: 358)
.jpeg   download (7).jpeg (Size: 11.86 KB / Downloads: 358)

What, like this !!!!!
Sectioning is one of the most difficult forms of customising, not just aligning the body contours, but realigning the controls, in particular the steering...with the roof chop as well it will definitely be a two seater!
I take nothing away from the skill people have in altering our cars. Converting sevens to specials was very popular in the 70s at a time when there were plenty around. As a purist I now feel that converting to specials is vandalising a car that is becoming harder to find.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I tend to agree John, but how many half decent Ruby bodies have been left to rot or been scrapped to make fake sports models?
I agree with John and Ivor. Obviously it is a very personal view but unless the body is totally beyond repair I would always try to keep the car as near to the original as can reasonably be expected.
(27-01-2023, 10:33 AM)John Mason Wrote: As a purist I now feel that converting to specials is vandalising a car that is becoming harder to find.

John Mason

Yes but there's nothing wrong with dreaming and drawing :-)
It all seems a bit pointless to me.