The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loose pulley
I could do with a bit of help. 

I noticed that the fan had stopped turning and traced it down to strands of the belt getting behind the fan and stopping it. 

I think this has impacted the crank pulley. It looked loose so I tightened the nut. I don’t want to over tighten it but I think it’s tight. The pulley is still loose. I have read that this pulley is on a taper. 

Any ideas what my problem is?

Steve

Should have said. It’s coil based 1930 engine
cracked camshaft pulley. I have had success with a stainless sleeve made from pipe but best to get a new pulley
Thanks. I’ll have a closer look and get new pulley

Steve
On its way!
S F Wize, Don’t over tighten the fan belt. After all it only turns the fan nothing else. My belt is slack and turns the fan ok with a cracked cam pulley.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(23-01-2023, 09:14 PM)John Mason Wrote: S F Wize, Don’t over tighten the fan belt. After all it only turns the fan nothing else. My belt is slack and turns the fan ok with a cracked cam pulley.

John Mason.

With a new belt it must be tight enough to drive the fan and not slip. Too much slip wears the aluminium top pulley.
Tony, Mine does not slip. It maybe because the belt has been in place for the last 20 years. The car runs well never getting over hot not even in slow stop start conditions.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.