The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster rep wiring loom
Hi all, 
About to start on the electrics for my Rod yates Ulster rep. Is there a wiring loom that anyone would recommend, seems to be a fair few different options. Or is it easier to make one up ?
Any advice muchly appreciated.
Have always made up one to suit the switch panel and cut out fitted.

What are you using?
The wiring on a Vintage Seven is so simple, do it yourself; use the basic wiring diagram and adapt to suit your requirements.
If you start with the standard 1929 wiring diagram and adapt for any modifications or additions you can't go too far wrong.

The main challenge is to choose suitable wire sizes - on a 6V system it really pays to use the biggest wires you can in order to minimise resistance, also to run earth wires back to the battery if possible rather than going through the body. 

Braided wiring gives a nice period look but is also bulky so make sure it will fit through whatever fittings & body holes you have.
The wiring is very simple, especially if you use a modern 'chip' instead of the voltage regulator.   On my Ulster rep, I used black pvc insulated wire and made up two simple looms, one either side of the scuttle fuel tank.   I wrapped black plastic spiral wrap around the looms and secured them with rubber lined 'P' clips.  The shiny plastic spiral wrap soon dulls and the wiring installation is very discreet.  Photos below.        
I like to use armoured cable and wiring bridges under the bonnet, where visible. 

I also like to hide the wring inside the wing brackets, keeps it really neat, to my eyes.

.jpeg   BFEB5CB9-5C78-4097-9735-E54F3E9C722A_1_105_c.jpeg (Size: 84.03 KB / Downloads: 188)
I made up 3 looms for my Cup - one for each side of the engine bay and one to the back of the car. I then fed each loom into heat-shrink sleeving (also available from Auto Electric Supplies in Tenbury Wells) which resulted in a very neat job and the matt black sleeving was very discreet. Like Ruairidh I used (expensive!) armoured cable for the very visible bits (magneto and dynamo).