The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excellent number plate font
For those keen types who like to do their own typography 
On their numberplates, can I recommend 
a visit to www.lineto.com and try out the
LUTZ Headline font. Just type in your reg number and
They kindly email you back an image in 64pt.

Then size to suit your plate for handpainting!
NB there are legal sizes for lettering and spacing.
See the DVLA or other number plate websites.
Usually letters 88mm high x 63mm wide, spacing at 11mm.
These sizes suitable for prewar cars.

Daft fonts are illegal but this one should be OK.
Usual disclaimers as regards accuracy apply!

Regards

Bill G
( ex BBC TV Typeface buyer!)
Based near the Scottish Border,
The original specification for UK number plates specified size and thickness of lettering, but not a specific font; a number three, for example, could have a flat top or a curved top without affecting the legality of the number. But I agree, that Lutz Headline produces a typical style which is much more appropriate than some of the examples seen on modern restorations - serif lettering was specifically forbidden, for example, whereas it seems to be quite popular these days.
Looks good Bill.

I would emphasise to anyone who hasn't tried it though that hand lettering by brush is harder than it sounds, you'd be well advised to try a practice piece first.

On my car the number is painted directly on the tail and the consequences of failure were too awful to contemplate. I used a self-adhesive stencil from Classic Transfers and can thoroughly recommend them (in quite a nice font too). Happily if the signwriting is done well it makes the rest of the paint job look good too!

Not promoting the idea, but for what it's worth I know at least one car which has been running around with the wrong font size for decades and never been pulled over.
Just take a brave pill and have a go; take your time and use a small paint brush. I did these (the British plate, not the US one!) a few years ago by roughly drawing the outline of the figures with a fine felt-tip and then carefully easing the paint out to the edge, then filling in when I was happy with the outline. incidentally, I used a cream paint rather than white, and to my eye it was just the right colour. I must admit the thought of painting direct onto the body panel might have put me off ...

That looks great Mike - the cream too.
Hi Mike

Tom A’s USA Cup , probably the nicest and
Well done GE Cup restoration I’ve seen also
Has slightly cream coloured numbers rather than a
Raw white.

I believe you can get special lacquers that fool speed
cameras as well....

I see you have the same “ Dorsetshire Bloody Fool”
registrationthat I was also given.

All the best

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Quote:I see you have the same “ Dorsetshire Bloody Fool”
registrationthat I was also given.

Hopefully not exactly the same registration!

But the DVLA's BF series does seem to be long lived. DVLA gave one of my cars BF 5XXX in January 2009 and has just issued BF 8XXX to a mate's '29 car.

BTW, I have done a couple of hand painted number plates. First I drew the letters and numbers onto a sheet of paper with a pencil. Then rubbed chalk all over the back of the paper. Then taped the paper to the blank number plate, going over the pencilled letters again with the same pencil leaves the outline of the letters in chalk on the plate when the paper is removed; giving you an exact guide to paint to. Easier to do than explain. Some of a hand painted plate in in this shot.

[Image: 39398553375_fdb7392eb1_k.jpg]
Stuart, signwriters use a product called tracedown paper to do just that - it's like white carbon paper. Nothing wrong with your way, just saying there's something you can buy which does it well. Of course proper signwriters do it freehand in single strokes - a wonderful thing to behold. It's that skill I was alluding to above.
Enclosed is the original hand painted number plate from my '28 saloon.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here's my attempt using a brush and Classic Transfers stencil :