The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering box adjustment
Before I jack up and crawl under my 1937 Ruby, can anyone tell me - is it possible to adjust the steering box mesh with everything in place ?
I realise this process is a compromise between loose in the middle and tight on either lock,  but, assuming new parts are unavailable,  is there any commonly accepted method of renovating the "gears" inside the steering box ?
Thanks, Peter Smith
Yes but you will do a better job on the bench, its often play in the drop arm bush as well as mesh adjustment that needs to be corrected. Hourglass boxes as will be fitted to your Ruby do not have the option of bringing and unworn quadrant of the gear into mesh as you can with the early boxes. Sometimes the thrust bearings in these boxes are in a mess although this is unusual in my experience, the biggest problem being wear to the quadrant and drop arm bush, if yours is badly worn look for one in better condition. You can turn up a new bush on a lathe but there are none (or weren't any) commercially available for these late boxes
Black Art Enthusiast
Please note that the drop arm on these late steering boxes can crack and break. They can be removed for crack-testing.
If anyone has a spare drop arm for a late steering box I'm still in need of one - see my ad in the 'wanted' section. And I will crack detect any offerings!
Alastair
Hi Peter,

Just a “lateral” thought — I had problems with slack steering ( too much movement in the steering wheel)  which I initially put down to wear in the box. Spent some time in investigating this including some dismantling but in the process noticed the radius arms anchorage to the cross member was quite loose. 
After putting that right, excessive play in the steering magically disappeared.

Offered in the spirit of Christmas and good fairies.

Charles