The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balancing Fans
Spelling mistakes attributed to fat fingers and not so smart smart phone.
Bob
Yes I noticed that you had spelt gravy wrong.   Big Grin
(26-12-2022, 10:21 PM)bob46320 Wrote: I balanced my 4 blade by sticking some small squares of lead to the tips with araldite and re painting g the whole afterwards to really bond them in place. Wash the bearings out , lube with 3 in one to reduce friction. Do your balancing, then lube with greave when happy with the balance.

Isn't Araldite temperature sensitive- I would think you might fire off weights in hot weather  Smile
Could you not simply remove material from the heaviest blade until they equalised?
Ray, that's generally how you do it. The question is how do you determine the heaviest blade and check to see if you've achieved  the desired balance?  There are no holes in our fan blades to mount them on a spindle to hold them for balance etc.
Cheers,
Stephen
In well over half a century of Austin Seven ownership, I can’t say I’ve even considered fan balance, even with tuned engines and as far as I know, never had a problem...have I missed something, or just been lucky?
(27-12-2022, 01:56 PM)Roger Goldthorpe Wrote: Yes I noticed that you had spelt gravy wrong.   Big Grin

Since when has gravy been used to lubricate anything other than the Sunday roast? Big Grin
I've never bothered because most of the time the fan belt lives under my seat only being fitted for Malcolm Parker's runs.
Stop worrying about it Steve, it need not be in perfect balance and unless dreadfully out it dosen't spin fast enough to cause a problem in my experience.
Black Art Enthusiast