The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A previously unknown section drawing of a Mk1 Ruby?
This appeared on Facebook, posted by Brian Marsh, an ex-Austin apprenticeĀ  https://www.facebook.com/groups/80694874...9950834550
It was the second of two drawings, the other being an Austin 10 engine converted to marine use and drawn by his father.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi

The first one looks vaguely familiar, maybe in Bryan Purve's 'Source Book' ? The example you have posted is much better resolution.

I have never seen the second one before

Both of them look to be a labour of love !
it looks like plate 1017 on page 405 of the Source book
David Howe has provided another cut-away view of the Ruby, this from an October 1934 issue of The Motor:

.jpg   1934 Oct Ruby Cut Away Motor.JPG (Size: 166.01 KB / Downloads: 291)
I had a copy of Tony's Ruby drawing 50 ish years ago, I believe it was a loose leaf insert from one of the handbooks, either Nicholson or Pitman's. Whether it came from there originally seems doubtful.
Had to smile when I looked at the forum on my mobile this morning. I thought this thread might be about the discovery of a mysterious group of bearded weirdos doing odd things to old cars. Oh, hang on...

.jpeg   Screenshot_20221223-083544-01.jpeg (Size: 19.04 KB / Downloads: 216)
I find it very interesting to see the double lever system for engaging the starter shaft. Previously I was unaware of this mechanism inside the chain housing of marine engines. I first saw one in use on my late uncles boat on the Thames in 1953.
I knew that there was something familiar about that engine, a lot of our ships had them in the lifeboats.