The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on roll oversteer please
It is getting off the immediate topic but Ackerman was done to death a few years ago. It was established that  the theoretical does not suit real cars which operate above walking speed.
The theoretical point about which  all wheels turn lies on the back axle axis extended.  I think this leads to confusion. The line thru king pins axis  (at road level) and steer joints usually converges notably ahead of the rear axle.

Maybe with a soft front spring and strong sticky friction s.as. the s.a tends to lift the inside wheel much as does  an anti roll bar, with similar effect. If one  wheel is effectively off the road all load is on the other wheel, whatever the springs.

Telescopic sas look awful but lever types reasonable and quite easy to incorporate at the front. Anyone running these? I found on my RP pitching was hugely reduced, although no other obvious effect..
Lever s.as. on the rear transformed handling but difficult to contrive a workmanlike mounting. Some books claim s.as. do not influence roll but I have fitted stronger units to several makes of car and all cornered more flat. On the RP the terror of snap action roll oversteer on metal roads was eliminated. (so few metal roads now few experience!)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your thoughts on roll oversteer please - by Bob Culver - 15-02-2018, 08:53 AM