The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Garage heating
MY memories of firing a marine boiler in the 1960s on diesel make me wary of diesel heaters, first we had to put on a fire proof hood then light a diesel soaked rag on a long piece of rod which was stuffed in a hole in the boiler front, the fuel valve was opened and you momentarily disappeared in a cloud of black smoke and flame.
When that recent cold snap (up to -10) suddenly turned into warm weather - about 15C in our part of the country, I went into the garage to find a horrific almost overnight amount of surface rust on all heavy metal tools - including the lathe. The dramatic shift in temperature/humidity caused intense condensation and surface corrosion. I'm glad I discovered it so I could clean everything down and oil the metalwork before putting covers over everything. First time this ever happened to me - but a note to self to keep an eye on temp shifts...
Happened to me too - and the electrical supply failed in the workshop making matters worse since the dehumidifier that keeps the building in useable condition had packed up and I'd not got round to replacing it. All the machine tools are now heavy with surface rust so I've got a busy time ahead!
Festive best wishes and hope that 2023 brings success and as much happiness as that week in July at Moreton (where did all that lovely hot weather go - and no, I haven't got a short memory for I did appreciate the heat).
I spray the machine tools with WD40 if the weather forecast indicates that there will be a sudden rise in temperature after a few days of frost. In fact, it's worthwhile doing every few weeks in the winter, whatever the weather.

This year the temperature swing was remarkable, -2 in the garage on one day, +13 with rain outside the next.

Come back summer, all is forgiven!