The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oilite bushes.
New oilite bushes. Am I correct in thinking that they should be soaked in oil overnight before fitting. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I have read that this is the correct procedure. Please correct me if I am wrong.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
John, reading Oilte’s own literature, bushes are “loaded” with oil from new, as a result of reading this I did not soak the Oilite bushes installed on my girling brake levers, which subsequently seized locking the brakes on.
Advice on here has been to soak the bearings prior to use, some say use hot oil, some say soak for 24 hours etc
It has also been pointed out that whilst the bushes may have been supplied loaded with oil, we the buyers do not know how they have been stored or how long they have been stored by the supplier, have they “dried” out??
So I soak them.
Hi Both

I understand it is best not to ream oilite bushes as this tends to seal the surface and prevent the oil doing its job!

Cheers

Howard
Agreed Howard, says that too in the Oilite literature.
How do you cope with fitting if no reaming ?
Luck I guess, had new brake cams and bushes which were a good fit, certainly no movement between cam and bush and the bushes were a tight fit into the bush housing, used bolt and nut to pull the bush into place.
The Oilite literature warns against using anything other than very sharp tools and refers to the use of diamond tipped tools, certainly no grinding or blunt tools as these will smear the sintered metal and close up the pores which allow the oil to do it’s work.
Thanks Denis seems reasonable.
HI ALL,
Small Sintered Bushes we allways loaded by placing between finger and thumb load with oil and squeeze
works every time, you will see oil coming through the bush.
no time to wait 24 hours to let them soak.

Cheers
Colin
NZ
I do not intent to ream the bushes but have thought about once the bush has been started in the hole putting the new cam in the bush and pressing/gently driving the bush and cam in together using the cam as a fitting tool.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Pressing them in on a mandrel is the way I do it John.
Black Art Enthusiast