The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking help on RN 'recessed' sliding roof
I have a pal, who along with another, are building 2 MG M Type Sportsmans Coupe

.jpg   sportsmans coupe.jpg (Size: 52.76 KB / Downloads: 340)

Such pretty cars of which, sadly, very few remain.

My pal has got to the point where they are pondering the construction of the sliding roof and he got in touch as they are known as a 'Pytchley' roof and he wondered if I could help.

Looking at the photos he has provided from a survivor, it struck me that the 'recessed' approach looked rather like that of an RN

I've pointed him at the drawings we have on the Archive web site which they have found very helpful as they have no original car to go on (not without pulling one apart, anyway). I have suggested to them that if there was an RN owner with a car in restoration that they could look at to see how the roof was constructed, that might help them a great deal. One of the chaps lives in Solihull and the other in Surrey. The Surrey resident is more than happy to travel to look at a car..

Can some kind soul offer to help a member of the opposition in this worthy project?

many thanks

Hugh
Pytchley roof on my RM too - they're welcome to have a look, but I'm not dismantling it!

This is where they are, so far. A trial construction in softwood to iron out potential problems before the real thing in ash. One will be metal clad, the other, fabric.

As you can see, where the roof construction should go is just a ruddy great 'ole at the moment...

Try as I might, I cannot get this to orientate correctly, clicking on it will give a conventional image....
Is anyone able to help?

Thanksā€¦.
The most important item on the RN recessed sunshine roof is the drains in the windscreen peakĀ 
.jpeg   Windscreen peak drain.jpeg (Size: 24.65 KB / Downloads: 149) whilst under the join between sunshine roof and main roof are a series of channels leading to the windscreen peak drains
.jpg   Stripped roof.jpg (Size: 32.05 KB / Downloads: 149) . After that what else do you need to know?
Thanks Dave (and apologies for tardy response, having been away for the weekend)

That is very helpfuland I will forward that advice on to my pal. An RL owner has been in touch who doesnt live too far from my pal and a visit is gong to be arranged, so I am hopeful that after that discussion, Keith will have a much better grasp of where they need to go next with the roof construction. I mentioned the drain holes to him and he wonders whether they need rodding out from time to time to ensure the unfettered passage of water.
In 30 years on 3 cars I've never had to rod them out, I do watch them when I wash the car to see they are clear.
Good to know.. I've forwarded your photos and comments onto my pal who has found them very helpful. Interestingly he sent me a photo of what we believe to be an original car which has a drain hole at the top of the A post to let the water out - presumably the Austin design is different?

.jpg   MG coupe 021 resize.jpg (Size: 58.05 KB / Downloads: 75)