The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crankcase machining ???
(15-11-2022, 12:42 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: I have machined hundreds of castings over the years but not attempted to machine a new crankcase although I have one as a " retirement project ".
Having a casting is one thing,but is it dimensionally correct,missing any bosses etc,porous anywhere particularly around the oilways?

My Flake 10 stud blown crankcase was deficient in the centre cam bearing and that had to be buttered up before line boring. 
Overall Austin had trouble boring crankcases accurately, as we know from the different sized cam and front crank gears. At the tail of the camshaft they varied even more. I've measured the rear of the cam being up to 20 thou out of parallel with the crank. My theory is that they machined the oil pump position first and then put the cam rear bearing in the place to suit the oil pump gear mesh. After all, with Austin radiused tappets the cam being out of square didn't actually make much difference.

Charles
It would fit on a bridgeport with a riser and could be machined at home, for the most part. I would be tempted to find someone to do the line boring for you as alignment is more critical, the rest is fairly straight forward. A drawing would be required or you could measure from an old crank case. I would also heat soak the casting to stress relieve once roughed as depending on what material and how it was cooled it is likely to move a bit when you remove material.
Having spent a little time in consultancy dont charge your time at the normal rate or it will end up a very expensive project.....
If the crankcase casting is on Ebay, I would suggest that it has very little value as the cost of having it machined would almost certainly exceed any value when finished.   As Dave mentions, you wouldn't know whether it was all okay until it was finished and by that time you have spent a huge amount of money on it.
It would make a good doorstop.
I am sure that Charles P put several hundred hours into machining his case.
(16-11-2022, 09:45 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: If the crankcase casting is on Ebay, I would suggest that it has very little value as the cost of having it machined would almost certainly exceed any value when finished.   As Dave mentions, you wouldn't know whether it was all okay until it was finished and by that time you have spent a huge amount of money on it.
It would make a good doorstop.
I am sure that Charles P put several hundred hours into machining his case.

I saw that and thought the exact same thing, Malcolm.
(16-11-2022, 09:45 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I am sure that Charles P put several hundred hours into machining his case.

More time planning rather than actually doing any machining 

Charles
I, like most of the commentators regard the casting as a 'novelty item only' Even if I had access to the machinery required it's still a daunting task.
I have a figure in mind to make an offer, but its a fraction of the asking price. It still begs the question why the caster, Mr Flake never supplied them as a ready to use item, just seems a lot of work for 'half a job'.
(16-11-2022, 10:28 AM)Bluebird7 Wrote: It still begs the question why the caster, Mr Flake never supplied them as a ready to use item, just seems a lot of work for 'half a job'.

Probably because there aren't enough Austin 7 owners willing to pay thousands for a finished crankcase, but a greater volume of dreamers and "retirement project" enthusiasts
I agree with Charles.
I believe the ebay vendor was at one time a regular contributor to this forum, often on matters sports related, so presumably there is a story behind his acquisition/ disposal of the crankcase.
(16-11-2022, 12:33 PM)bystander Wrote: I believe the ebay vendor was at one time a regular contributor to this forum, often on matters sports related, so presumably there is a story behind his acquisition/ disposal of the crankcase.

Sadly ongoing login problems have locked him out of this forum as a contributor