The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap MAP Gas / Propane Torch - Any Recommendations
Hi,

Over the winter I am hoping to finally make a proper folding screen for my Ulsteroid to replace the existing home made aero screens.

I'm assuming I will have to silver solder this both for strength and also so that it can be plated.   (That being said I don't actually know if platers could plate over soft solder if it's the more modern lead free type).

To do this I will need to get myself a new blow torch and I think a MAP gas or possibly propane torch would be required to do the job.

I appreciate that the well known brands such as Rothenberger, Monument and Bernzomatic are probably what I should choose but as it's only likely to be used for this one project I'm tempted by some of the look alike Chinese torches on e-bay or OnBuy such as:-

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/gas-torch-mapp-...earch_2000

Obviously I want something which is safe and had just about talked myself out of one of the e-bay / OnBuy offerings when I found out the even the well known brands are apparently made in China or Taiwan.

So, has anyone actually bought a Chinese blow torch and was it any good?

John.
I have had a Rothenberger torch for over 30 years. Eventually it failed in the piezo ignition department and I bought a cheapo one thinking it would do. I still have it but only as a back-up for the new Rothenberger I bought a year later. Better quality, better balance well made and easier to use.
At least now, if anyone asks if they can borrow a torch for some heating I can lend them that one instead of saying "I don't lend tools, EVER"
I'm sure I don't need to tell you that in silver soldering, fit and cleanliness are essential... of the join that is, you are allowed to be an unfit dirty old man if you so wish!
I have used this kit extensively including making two windscreens, one for each of my Rosengarts

I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Hi John

I’ve used a set like the one Derek has suggested.  However if you end up doing a lot of brazing/ silver soldering then you will use up oxygen bottles very fast and they are not cheap.  I splashed out and bought a set like this

https://www.ac-one.co.uk/flametech-pro-1...tgQAvD_BwE

Not cheap but the gas lasts for ages and you can refill the oxygen. It is also a lot more powerful and very useful for hot bending some fairly meaty steel sections  Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard
For brazing and silver soldering a redundant oxy/acetylene kit running on oxy/propane (acetylene is the expensive gas) will be much cheaper to run over time. You'll need a propane regulator to replace the acetylene one, but you do escape the painful cost of the little bottles that always seem to run out at the wrong moment.
You'll wonder how you managed without it.

Charles
I used to do a lot of brazing of large, copper work and used propane with air from a compressor. I made the torch from an old oxy- acetylene torch. It workedwell. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Jamie.