The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 speed crash gearbox
To refit the selector fork rods a special tool is required, so I'm told. I am working from the Woodrow manual which shows a diagram of the tool which I can't understand. Is there a manual that shows a photograph or does anyone make such a tool for sale? Many thanks.
You don’t need a special tool. A screwdriver and a bit of care is all thes needed.
Alan Fairless
Hi

As Alan says you can use a screwdriver but here is picture of my take on Woodrow’s selector tool.

Basically you feed the spring and ball bearing into the hole in the selector fork. Then push the tool into the fork so that the ball bearing is pushed up into the fork. Once satisfied that it is fully in and beyond the ramp twist the tool so that the ball is on the opposite side of the ramp and fully in the fork. Then carefully tap the selector rod into the fork pushing the tool out but retaining the ball bearing in its spring slot.

Hope this helps

Howard

.jpeg   903B41E5-20A2-4BDB-9147-8523D8211F07.jpeg (Size: 47.57 KB / Downloads: 309)
I made one like that when I rebuilt the 4 speed. It does make setting the detent ball & spring very easy. I turned myself a length of bar to fit the i/d of the selector fork and then fashioned the concave ramp using an angle grinder. There's a drawing with the dimensions necessary in the red book at Fig C-30 - Page C1-24 (in actual fact it's the same for 4sp crash) - You don't need the dimple at the top of the ramp. As per Howard's photo is fine.
I used a piece of stud and filed an angle on one end. Very easy to make. Works well.
Jim
Thank you all so much for your responses. I now understand, and happy to start the strip down. Again many thanks.