The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP dashboard lamp - which bulb size - which Led equivalent
Hello, 
After I had successfully replaced the old bulbs from the rear and front lamps, as well as the rear indicators and used perfectly working LED, I wanted to replace the front indicators and the dashboard light as well. For the indicators I could decipher the bulb type but for the dashboard light.... No idea... Unreadable... Does anyone know the type and a suitable Led replacement?

Thanks
Frank
Hi Frank,

As far as I am aware these are "standard" side/rear light bulbs. I have converted two of my cars to LEDs, but have left the dashboard light as a normal filament bulb as the light operates by turning and sliding the bulb. I thought this might prove an inadequate connection for an LED as they are notoriously sensitive to bad contacts.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
6volt 3w, if I remember correctly.
Hi Frank

I think the original was 6 Volt 3 Watt Lucas type 200 which is now obsolete.

A more modern "small globe" bulb with BA15S cap should be the same. Single contact, bayonet, 15 mm diameter
I tried a 6V LED bulb in the dash lamp but it was far too bright.
Fitting a 5W 12V bulb works very well. Illuminates that dash but doesn't dazzle.
Jim
Ideally, a gentle glow is all you need. I tend not to use mine unless it's really necessary.
I can't see the point in replacing the dashboard lamp with an LED.  The traditional bulb is of minimal wattage and it will only be used very occasionally.   It's a bit like fitting a dimmer switch on your refridgerator light?
Thanks for the answers.
The LEDs that I have used so far all work perfectly well. No connection failures, no flickering... Two main problems remain... The brightness and the whiteness (which means that colored glasses change their appearance) but that's nothing in comparison to what I had to go through when using ordinary bulbs...
So, let's find some suitable LEDs for the remaining bulbs.
The available 6v bulbs to suit the dash lamp these days tend to be 6v 7w which is a bit harsh. You can always "damp" the brightness down a bit by painting the bulb with some white nail varnish it stops a lot of the glare. Most of the unwanted reflections tend to come from the speedometer chrome ring.