The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine build decisions
So, I'm soon starting a build for the ruby that aims to be a touring/reliable engine with a bit of poke and I'm in something of a conundrum. 

I have some nice parts like renault balanced rods, new pistons etc, and a lovely crankcase that would be great to use in a 2 bearing engine with phoenix crank, but no phoenix crank. I was to have a lovely balanced crank from ike to use in it but that went from my possession in a bit of a mixup.

I also have what I think are 2 brand new 3 bearing cranks, an entire spare (unmodified) 3 bearing donor engine and can't help but think that would be a nice way to go too.

Things like the block etc are not helping as both the new blocks I have are 10 stud so will require modding the crankcase anyway and I have a few nice sporting heads to add to it too, my favourite being a whatmough. 

I've looked through the archives but I'm essentially stuck in my decision. So austin friends, what would you do...
Three bearing engines are very nice but a lot more difficult to put together properly. I’d go for a two bearing - the unneeded parts should pay for a Phoenix crank. (Other crankshafts are available)
Alan Fairless
I'd be astonished if they are really brand new 3-bearing cranks - though they are still available in Austrailia.
As Alan says, a well-built 3-bearing engine is a lovely thing but you have to know how to build it properly, and there's quite a bit of bad info out there. By contrast a new 2 bearing crank is relatively easy and should be dependable.
There are quite a few brand new old stock 3 bearing cranks around.
(26-10-2022, 06:16 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: There are quite a few brand new old stock 3 bearing cranks around.

But are they Austin manufacture or Remax?
No idea, I have never bought any of the ones I have been offered.
I doubt they are Austin-manufacture. I don't know about now, but fifty years ago you could find a new 3-bearing crankshaft without too much difficulty, but they were all Remax. Mind you, I did well over 100,000 hard miles on a Remax crank with no issues, so i wouldn't turn my nose up at one now.
Imported from Australia at reasonable cost with the aim of making a very high revving race engine originally...