The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TOP PULLEY BUSHES.
Evening all, I noticed that my top pulley has some play, the question is would I have to ream the new bushes to fit the shaft X2? If so what size reaming tool do I need?
finally, is the pulley unit easy o remove? I have a bag of tools and that is it.
Thank you in anticipation.
Regards RPM
Bung some grease in it and see if it still has play.
As to reaming the bush its a case of fitting it and see if it needs to be reamed.
The spindle might be worn enough to get away without reaming.

A bit of end float is not a problem unless the fan gets to hit the radiator
Most people overtighten A7 fanbelts which overloads the bearing the fan takes very little to drive it
I alway set the belt so that it will slip moving the fan with one finger.
Depending on your car you will have to take the radiator off to allow enough room to remove the fan mount spindle.
The cotter pin here is another one which is often overtightened splitting the dynamo housing.
Thank you Dickie65. that answers the question. I will start with some heavy grease through the nipple first.
Regards RPM.
Hi RPM

You say there is “play” in the fan spindle.  Is it definitely lateral play or just longitudinal?  If the latter this can be taken up by taking off the fan blade and tightening the nut on the end of the spindle.  It may well be a good idea to do this anyway as if you feed in too much grease it may just come out via a loose felt bush.

From memory I think the spindle is 1/2”. You may be able to borrow a reamer from a club member. I’ve just done this job and the bushes definitely needed reaming after fitting.

Cheers

Howard
Thanks Howard . I will take another look at the play now that you have pointed that out, may save having to disturb and even unnecessary work. also noted the reamer size ,should it come to that.
Thanks again RPM.
Hi RPM

The Cherished Suppliers sell both bushes and complete pulleys.  It may be possible to ask them if the complete assembly comes ready reamed and if not they could ream it for you. It may be cheaper than buying a reamer.

If you do get just bushes, remember to heat up the pulley to about 150 degree C before putting the bushes in. When I did this I didn’t and needed some effort to push the bushes in on the vice  Angry.

Cheers

Howard
Howard, thank you for the bush tip and heat. This site is invaluable to me and many others.
Regards RPM