The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other notable Centenaries
I am reminded that 1922 was of several notable events which now enjoy their centenary (apart for the launch of our beloved Austin Seven of course), namely:-

1. The publishing of James Joyce's seminal novel 'Ulysses'  (2nd February 1922)
2. The launch of the Rolls-Royce 20 hp car (6th October 1922)
3 The Incorporation of the BBC (18th October 1922)

I wonder if anyone else can think of others?
100 years of GN/Frazer Nash as celebrated by the 'Nash Club this summer.

Steve
Walls Ice Cream, first made in 1922.
Monza Autodrome opened in September 1922.
My father (RIP 2002) was born in September 1922. Big Grin
I believe the early BBC camera dollies were shed with Austin Seven wheels.
Chris, I think you are right, my grandfather was an engineer at Vinten and used to build the prototype camera pedestals for the BBC and although he was a motorcyclist right up to his 80s he built his own sidecar chassis using seven components...
David, I might have thought that a Welsh Seven owner would immediately have thought of the centenary of Geraint Evans. Charles Mingus as well, the picture of them jamming in a bar late at night is delightful!
(23-10-2022, 06:08 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: I believe the early BBC camera dollies were shed with Austin Seven wheels.

See this photo in the Friends' Gallery:

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...iew&id=379
(23-10-2022, 08:13 PM)Steve kay Wrote: David, I might have thought that a Welsh Seven owner would immediately have thought of the centenary of Geraint Evans. Charles Mingus as well, the picture  of them jamming in a bar late at night is delightful!

Steve, I was thinking more of cultural institutions and artifacts, rather than people. The former tend to endure longer. Smile
(23-10-2022, 08:30 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(23-10-2022, 06:08 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: I believe the early BBC camera dollies were shed with Austin Seven wheels.

See this photo in the Friends' Gallery:

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...iew&id=379

This photo is misleading. It is wrongly displayed with a television studio camera on a studio pedestal at the National Science and Media Museum in Bradford.
The Austin dollies were made for use by film crews working at and out of the BBC Film Studios at Ealing with 35mm and 16mm film cameras on tripod mounts.
The BBC ran Ealing Film Studios from 1955 'til 1995 so I assume the dollies were made in '55?
Four were made, one was lost in the Thames at Putney. One is in California and the other two are in the UK.