The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP Windscreen Installation
I will soon face the task of re-installing the RP's windscreen after a roof peak repair & would appreciate guidance on how to position the screen correctly in the fore - aft direction.

When correctly installed, does the rear face of the screen make hard contact with the flange around the windscreen opening? Or should there be a gap? (or perhaps some form of seal between the two).

As it stands my screen has only the perished remnants of a seal, but my assumption is the seal only makes contact around the edge or to the front side of the screen.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, especially from those who drive in the rain!
There's a rubber seal on mine along the full width of the top of the frame, Chris. Thin one, mind, with a rounded outer edge. The other seal goes all the way round from one end of the hinge to the other, clamped by the frame. Sent you a pic by e-mail.
Thanks Bruce.

But there is no seal in between the screen and the steel flange around the opening, right? (marked xxx below)

.jpg   Capturegh.JPG (Size: 69.17 KB / Downloads: 106)

What I want to know is - when closed - how big a gap is there between screen (metal) and this flange, especially at the top near to the hinge.

Common sense suggests the flange acts as a 'back stop' for the screen, but if in hard contact I imagine there would be a lot of rattling and chafing, so perhaps it's set up with a nominal gap?
The only seal around the opening is the one fixed to the opening part of the screen.
I'll have a look this afty and send you some more pics.
Jamie has these seals and good they are.
Thanks Bruce.

I've just noticed that when the screen is pushed back into the opening, the first point of contact (at the bottom) is the lug to which the central latch / strut attaches. When this makes contact there is a gap of about 3/16" between the screen rear face and the body flange. I'm guessing this 3/16" gap should thus be maintained all around the screen and the hinge position fixed accordingly.

Slipping a 3/16" drill bit between the rear face of the screen and the flange at the top brings the screen back pretty close to where I thought it should be based on surviving evidence.
Quite right. In fact on mine the joint where the screen opening catch is, abuts against the outer edge of the windscreen opening (pic to follow)
The hinge is mounted into the top rail right up against the flange. The rubber top seal is  no more than 2mm thick. Here goes:

[Image: 20221022-125201.jpg]

[Image: 20221022-125000.jpg]

Sorry about this one, it's a bit out of focus:

[Image: 20221022-124658.jpg]
Thanks again Bruce, that's most helpful.

The upper section of flange is not there on my car at present but as you say, I think the hinge will be hard up against it.

At least I now know what to aim for...
The top seal on mine doesn't seem to be the same profile as that on sale at the workshop, but whatever. It doesn't leak.