The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROP - the fuel to avoid...
ROP - the fuel to avoid.....another restored cover

Attached Files
.jpg   ROP2.jpg (Size: 619.11 KB / Downloads: 544)
Wasn't it known in the day as "Ropey Old Petrol" ?
No doubt most readers of the forum will know that ROP was actually Russian Oil Products Ltd. Perhaps less well known is the fact that there is a murky story around the company beyond that of Ropey or Rotten Old Petrol !
The company was formed in 1925 and built up a significant distribution network selling petrol at lower prices than the major brands, appearing to be a straightforward commercial operation which used some quite eye catching advertising. However, it also provided an ideal framework for covert activities with the result that it was under constant surveillance by the government. Many of the employees were not what they seemed to be and were engaged in spying, espionage and promotion of communism with the spy Anthony Blunt featuring in the story.
I've been looking for this since Tony's initial posting. Although not dated, I guess it's from the same period.
...the most exacting needs of every make of car has been adequately catered for. The oils are blended from the world famous "Russian No 1 Machine Oil ".

Austin vehicles have ROP ZIP motor oils recommended as follows:

Engine:      "Heavy" in winter and summer.
Gearbox:    "Heavy" in winter and summer.
Back Axle:  " Gear Oil Heavy " in winter and summer.

Not particularly technical then!!    
The attached Advertisement is taken from the R.T. Nicholson book ‘ The Austin Seven Book ‘ which I think is a  1931 edition.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tony,
     I have sent you a PM - nothing to do with ROP !
    Ken.
(21-10-2022, 01:36 PM)kenkimber Wrote: Tony,
    Ken.

Hello Ken. You appear to have private messaging set to blocked...

The answer is, no, they were not mine.

All the best,  Tony.
(21-10-2022, 01:36 PM)kenkimber Wrote: Tony,
    Ken.
Hi Ken,
To change the private message setting find "Edit Options" on the left-hand side toolbar (it's just below the "Your Profile" heading). Click it, and a list of tick boxes pops up where you can change it. If you are still unsure, give me a call on 01298-872874 and I'll talk you through it.