The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 speed noise
As we all know the 3 speed gearbox is very loud. Have any of you made a easy to remove noise canceling box to go over the tranny?
Probably a noise cancelling box over your ears would be more effective!!

:o)
Thing about noise cancelling - with a bit of planning you can make it noise modifying instead. You could make your seven sound like an ERA.
Alan Fairless
Alan, what could one do to make it sound like a Deltic? Almost enough smoke, but not quite the correct colour.
I don't know how noisy a three speed box is. My four speed crash box whines like a demented banshee in second and third. And I thought it was just part of the charm of running a prewar car!
My 3 speed is very noisy in 1st and 2nd when at high revs - mountain climbing etc, however in 3rd (Top) is quite acceptable although the passenger does benefit from ear plugs. Its nothing like a modern. Remember the whine of early minis - and that was acceptable.

Engaging 1st when warm will result in a "crunch", engaging reverse a louder crunch ! I normally engage 1st, then into reverse for a less violent engagement. It goes without saying that we double de-clutch on all gear changes and try to match engine speed with gearbox speed. The most difficult is changing up when hill climbing so that you don't loose road speed, but not crash the gears !

Ps, if your speedo cable is out of alignment - that can be really noisy - search for speedo cable here.
the 3 speed box of my Rosengart LR4N2 is indeed whining like a banshee in first and second but remarkably quiet in third... At first I feared the box was on the way out even though shifts between 1st and 2nd went better than expected for someone who was not acquainted with un-synchronised boxes. However having read all those posts about whining boxes I have decided to live with it and cruise around in 3rd.
I have to admit that the 4 speed crash box in my 33 RP is as quiet as a mouse, in any gear. Either that or I'm deaf. Probably a bit of both.
(05-10-2022, 10:23 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: I have to admit that the 4 speed crash box in my 33 RP is as quiet as a mouse, in any gear. Either that or I'm deaf. Probably a bit of both.

I was plagued with strange rattles and noises from the around the car and the whine from lower gears in my 3 speed box (which improved considerably when I overhauled it). Some may recognise that…paranoid feeling when a new rattle starts!!

However I now turn my hearing aids off on every journey  Big Grin Big Grin.

Quiet as a mouse as Reckers says.

Cheers

Howard
Noise in the 3 speed box is usually caused by wear in the layshaft. This in turn alters the mesh of 1st & 2nd gears leading to them wearing too.
Changing the layshaft is not particularly difficult, just needs care. So long as everything goes back the same way that it came out none of the adjustments will be affected.
The long key holding the gears to the shaft is usually broken. Doesn't seem to affect things but probably a good idea to replace it.
We changed the 2nd gear wheels for Andes gears from Andy Bird. The result is excellent.
Jim