The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunkirk 1940
The military two seaters I have worked on have:

Scuttle mounted tank with sender unit under the drivers side bonnet.

3 bearing engine, with semi Girling running gear, on a box saloon type frame with a unique bracket to support the silent block torque tube bracket on the rear crossmember.

17” wheels, Ruby steering wheel and instrumentation, mounted in a lozenge shaped dash.

The top tank sender and the modified bracket would be the giveaway for me.

Ruairidh
I don't believe any civilian PD tourers were fitted with a scuttle tank, so that is the biggest clue to me. 3-bearing engine, Girling brakes, the altered torque-tube mounting bracket are obviously further clues on later cars, but there were pre-1936 military tourers that would not have these features.
Many thanks for all your help, my car has a scuttle petrol tank but no sender, 17"military wheels,three 

bearing engine, semi girling setup and I will check crossmember when I can.

Dash is as in photo.

Thanks Stephen. Ps sorry for upsidedown photo!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What age is your car, Chassis number?
Hi, the v5 gives chassis no as 129640 and engine no. as M164042,

The car was reregistered many years before I bought it 17 years ago V5 states 23/02/1931 which I think pre date’s when they were first made.

Stephen.

Ps. Going through all my old papers I have found an old tax book with the above chassis number on a 1931 , black Austin seven saloon so I guess that chassis was attached to present body at some stage in the past.

Thanks for all your input.
If the engine number is as stated it won't be a three bearing.
An aside to the original post here, but still on the subject of military Austins, I, (as an ex-Signals Radio Tech from the late '50s), finally managed to visit the Royal Signals Museum at Blandford Forum yesterday. A superb museum if you are into that sort of thing, but one of the highlights for me was to see the very fine Radio Car HX 6792, which I am sure most of you know about. It is well documented on the adjacent display notice, and there are also good and correct references to the American Austin Bantam on the true origins of the Willys Jeep also on display further round the exhibits.
I was however horrified on perusing their website on returning home, to see that display Item No 54, 'the radio car' pictured, and definitely the display car, is referred to as a MORRIS MINOR!
I have written to them pointing this out, and hope they will amend their ways.
Incidentally this car is yet another Austin Seven listed on the DVLA as being 858cc.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Stephen, I've sent you a Private Message.
(29-09-2022, 05:29 AM)39Jet Wrote: The abandoning of undamaged vehicles etc. by retreating Russian soldiers is one of the bizarre aspects of the war in Ukraine.

(29-09-2022, 09:04 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: One incident quoted in the book was that advancing German troops came cross an abandoned Allied convoy where many of the vehicles still had their engines running such was the panic to avoid capture.

I've seen several video clips of Russian soldiers running without even a glance to see if their comrades made it or need help. Or indeed scrambling over their wounded to get away. Disabling their vehicles is the last thing on their minds.