The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunkirk 1940
What is your plate Stephen? I was going to suggest that the photoographed car seemed to have a civilian issue plate, but it is of course a prefix continuation of the MY series. HMY was gov issue.
The abandoning of undamaged vehicles etc. by retreating Russian soldiers is one of the bizarre aspects of the war in Ukraine.
One incident quoted in the book was that advancing German troops came cross an abandoned Allied convoy where many of the vehicles still had their engines running such was the panic to avoid capture.
We went to the museum in Dunkirk and amongst the images on display was this one.

Hijack- it is strange but only posts with a second page can be accessed - my new post is not readable ????
I will try to put up photos,there are two holes in the right hand side of the dash near the door for no apparent reason?
Stephen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I understood, the engine oil was drained, and the engines left to run to distruction. I have always thought the Austin 7 wheels were removed to access the inner tubes, to be used asĀ floataion aids.
Stephen, what is the brass plate below the pocket in the dashboard?
Hi, it is well worn but I can make out- CHASSIS CONTRA NO. with V 2734 , below it on the left and-

CATALOGUE NO. with 21 below it on the right .

Thanks Stephen.
I'm no expert on the military tourer, but I will stick my neck out and suggest that is definitely one! Presumably V2734 is the Government requisition order - a web-search may well identify the destination for the contract; it needn't have been a forces car, it could well have been for the Civil Defence, Auxiliary Fire Service or for some other civil use.