The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery brake shoes
Does anyone recognise this brake shoe? Its identical to a normal Girling shoe apart from the spring lugs, which are in the same position as the holes on 'normal' Girling ones. I had thought they might be for the very late Ruby with the rod-operated brakes, but can't see anything similar in any of the parts books to which I have access.

I came across a set of four of them in my spares stash while looking for some to reline for an axle rebuild, and while I could modify them by hacking off the lugs and drilling appropriate-sized holes, it occurred to me that someone out there might need them!

Does anyone recognise them? If they are of use I'll happily swap them for a set of ordinary Girling shoes...

These are shoes for Girling brakes from about 1936 - 37. 1937 - 39 (approx) they just had holes. They brake springs for each are different but if you drill out the back of the studs such that they drift out they convert to the later shoes with holes - near enough!!

Steve
Thanks Steve - I've never seen any like that before and assumed they were something unusual, but obviously not! Just goes to show there's always scope to learn something new in the A7 world. I'll be reaching for the drill in the morning...
Hi Alastair
I've got that type on my Ruby, and mine are stamped with 'New Hudson' on the other side of the shoe. Getting replacement springs new are difficult to source and I don't think any of our cherished suppliers stock them.
Bob
Bob - I thought I'd shown them to you when you called round the other day! Most of the Girling ones seem to be by New Hudson, the make of my first bicycle...
The shoes with holes in are superior to the earlier type with lugs. In this later type the pull-off springs have a dual function in holding the shoes back in place, enabling more even wear - the earlier type tend to pull the shoe outwards leading to uneven wear on the linings. It is a straightforward and worthwhile modification to remove the lugs, and fit the later type springs.