The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brushable Chassis Paint
If you follow the application process for POR 15,, videos are available, you need a lot of preparation in terms of cleaning the steel then applying their chemical cleaner which then must be removed with clean water.
When coated with POR 15 minimum 2 coats, I used a tie coat grey primer and finished in the body paint Tekaloid undercoat and then top coats, for the chassis finished in good old smooth Hammerite black.
When I want to prevent rust into the future - especially on areas that aren't generally seen - I tend to use a wire brush, Jenolite or similar, followed by (red) Bondaprimer. Areas that can be seen can be painted black later. Most of us must have our preferred ways?
Last one I did was in 2013. Chassis scrubbed with wire brush and wire cup brush in grinder and then painted with Wilko Red Oxide Primer

Then Tekaloid Satin Finish Black

Nothing fancy but 9 years on, it's still there with no signs of rusting at all.

Steve
(26-09-2022, 07:14 AM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

I think the secret, if there is one, is preparation.  I had the chassis on my special blast cleaned and then I sprayed it with an etch primer, followed by several coats of ...

Cheers

Howard

I have to agree Howard. My chassis was grit blasted, sprayed with a cellulose red primer, then three coats of cellulose gloss black. That was in 1986 and it still looks like new.

The back axle was brushed with a couple of coats of smooth hammerite. It chips off too easily.
In the early days I used original formula smooth hammarite, it lasted for years and although a but prone to chips, I never had rust spread under it. I now blast, apply Dinetrol rust converter, a low build black etch primer and 2pack top coat. I am extremely happy with the quality and durability of this approach.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thank you for all of these suggestions and recommendations, which all sound good. I shall have a good read and look at getting some paints.

The finish on my BSA motor bike frame has stood the test of time really well, but, frustratingly, I cannot remember what I used. I think that it was B&Q's own black gate paint or something similar, but I just cannot remember.

Jamie.
My chassis was extremely bad and I managed to get it blasted by a company who used a stainless steel blasting media.    This got all the old rust off and left the surface with a microscopic layer of stainless steel impinged into the surface.

I then painted it with Smoothrite and over twenty years later it's still good.

The company who did the blasting no longer exist but it may be worth investigating.
For brush painting I have good experience with Kramp paints (have used it on my flared cycle wings) and they also sell chassis paint https://www.kramp.com/shop-nl/nl/p/chass...--993008KR
Please note that they themselves call it 'chassis primer'.
I got a can recently as the chassis of my Rosengart seems to have been painted with a black paint that is nog fuel resistant so I'm going to touch up some part where paint has come off with that Kramp chassis paint.
I’d recommend Corroless chassis paint ,I get it from Arc Rite in Morecambe, they will post and also put it in an aerosol.It’s got rust killer, and is reinforced with glass fibre.Google them, cheers Peter