The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin seven bodied to look like a bicycle saddle
If anyone amongst the knowledgeable subscribers to this forum knows of any other images of the Austin Seven bodied to look like a Dunlop Bicycle Saddle that was printed in The Austin Advocate, in I suspect, about 1925 I would be most grateful if you could point me in their direction.
My researches, so far, have failed to find any.    
That looks like it has 7" brakes and the flat steering wheel, so probably 1928-29 rather than 1925. I have seen another photo of the same or similar car from a similar angle without the box on the back... I'll have to start searching, I have no idea where!
I would say june/july 1929.
odd that if those are 7" brakes, that appears to be an open centre wheel at the rear?
Mike, I must confess I based my date estimate on what appear to be open centred wheels without considering the steering wheel. If you do remember where you saw the other photograph then I would love to see it.
A trawl through the Austin Advocate Magazines would obviously provide the answer, I know the A7CA archives only have a few copies but presumably Beaulieu and Gaydon have full sets !
Bearing in mind my age, condition and lack of space it is fairly stupid to be considering another project - but if it were 1929 I do just happen to have a spare short chassis with a 1929 V5C in my name registered as a tourer !
I think Bill is just about spot on, maybe August/September; the OF series issued by Birmingham began in May 1929, and had reached the mid-6000s by the end of the year.
Thankyou chaps for positive dating of the car.
so is that just a closed centre wheel with its top chopped off for practical purposes?
I wonder whether the front of the saddle went down over the grill top. It looks not from that angle.
Doubtful that we will ever find out the mystery of the wheels with their open centres !
A front view would be extremely useful, but it looks as if the ‘saddle’ forms a cowl which only extends about halfway down the radiator and would need to be open at the front otherwise it would impact heavily on the cooling.
I'm not convinced they are open-centre wheels: the shading on the front wheel could be interpreted either way, whilst the black mark on the rear wheel could just be a printer's blemish.