The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plug lead attachments
What is the correct method of attaching plug leads to a magneto with thumbscrew type posts on the distributor head. I can’t believe you have to wrap the bare wire around the terminal.  
.jpeg   954B473C-87BC-428B-A319-F4E3BED5E4D0.jpeg (Size: 64.8 KB / Downloads: 415)
Alan Fairless
Alan, I vaguely recall that you almost do but there's a sort of eyelet thingummy rather like a cup washer that goes between the loop of wire and the thumbscrew. The other answer might be to screw a small screw eye into the end of the ht lead.

All the best,

Stuart
Yes I was wondering if I might do that. Thanks
Alan Fairless
I’ve always used screw in closed cup hooks that bear a design similarity with the hooks that used to be on the end of net curtain cord. They wind into the copper core of the HT cable

Charles
I’ve got some picture frame eyes that are square rather than round but I think they will do.
Alan Fairless
What about these with heat shrink covering.

Joe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have those for the other ends.
Alan Fairless
Slightly different application but the dynamo connections on my car are rather like stuartu describes.   Basically there is a brass cup washer which is castellated around the circumference.  The cable is stripped back, twisted together and then laid around the cup to form an eyelet.   Another plain brass washer then sits on top of the stripped cable and finally the castellation's are folded over to form a ring.[b][url=https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=47][/url][/b]

This is the type of thing:

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produc...g-terminal

Not sure if this would be OK.

John.
The outer insulation should take the weight/vibration not the conductor.
Sorry - grandma/suck eggs comes to mind.

.jpg   Im19050606Motor-Ross.jpg (Size: 86.77 KB / Downloads: 122)

9d / Box.   Can't go wrong!