The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Archive Open Day
Finally, with the decline of covid and the Centenary event behind us, I am pleased to announce an upcoming Archive Open Day. The date will be Sunday 9th October. A programme of events is being worked on at the moment and will include various talks, display materials and the opportunity to browse the collection. More specific information will follow.

It will also give the first opportunity for many people to see our new room at Lubenham, a location I am very happy with...The room, although larger than we had before, won't permit anything like the Pop Up Museum from Moreton to be on show, but some of the same items we had out on display at the Centenary will be able to be seen...

I *may* have to limit numbers, depending on possible uptake, so would appreciate a 'likely to attend' email to archivist@a7ca.org so I can monitor attendance.

Very much looking forward to it...

Hugh
Just a reminder, 2 weeks today is the Archive Open Day. Still spaces available. I will be publishing the final programme of events this coming week...

An email to archivist@a7ca.org would be appreciated if you plan to attend.

Hope to see lots of you on the day...

Hugh
Final arrangements have now been made for the programme of events at the Archive Open Day on Sunday 9th October. The Archive will be open from 10am to 3:30 pm. As well as being able to see our new room first hand, a selection of specific items from the collection will be on display and visitors will be able to browse the collection.

There will be 4 short talks on the day:

10:30 - Welcome and an overview of recent donations to the collection - Hugh Barnes

11:15 - Stan Edge - a brief talk from Chris Garner. Chris will also have copies of his booklet he wrote for the Centenary event which he will be selling for £5, all funds raised to go to the Alzheimers Society

12:00 - Lance Sheldrick will give a talk on some of the conservation work that he has undertaken on behalf of the Archive. Lance is a Picture restorer and frame gilder as well as being a long term Austin 7 owner

12:45 - The 'Military Album'. It's acquisition and conservation - Hugh Barnes, followed by a Military 'interpretation' by Richard Joyner, Archivist of the 11th Hussars Museum, Winchester

Tea and coffee wil be available and somewhere to sit to eat a sandwich (that you will bring with you!) otherwise, the Coach and Horses is within walking distance where Sunday lunch can be taken. It might be worth reserving if you are planning to do that, just to be sure... No food and drink is allowed in the Archive room.

I hope to see many of you on the day. If you have not yet done so, and are planning to attend, please send an RSVP to archivist@a7ca.org
It's shaping up to be a splendid day and very well organised. Richard Joyner (and his father) also own a 1926 Pram Hood Chummy.
Are you not doing the Welsh Trial then David?
(27-09-2022, 08:56 PM)bobthompson Wrote: Are you not doing the Welsh Trial then David?

Yes, of course! But I am regretting not being able to go to the Archive Open Day...
It has been suggested to me that not everyone will know the exact location of the Archive. To resolve anyone's confusion, the offices of the TSSC, where the Archive is housed, can be found at 36 Main St, Lubenham, Market Harborough LE16 9TF

There are still a few vacancies on the 'guest list', so if you live within an hour's drive from Lubenham, say, why dont you come along for the day. It does promise to be quite good...
Today has been spent setting up the Archive ready for next Sunday. I am looking forward to meeting those of you who are able to attend. There are just a few more spots available for those interested. As before, an RSVP email to archivist@a7ca.org would be appreciated if you plan to attend.
I'm happy to report we had an excellent day at the Archive yesterday. The talks seemed to have been well received - particularly the one by Richard Joyner, who talked in detail about some of the images in the 'Military Album'. As a result of that and some subsequent discussions, a whole new raft of research has been spawned (if you can spawn a raft?)

Anyway, thanks for all of you who turned up and, being such a lovely day, it was nice to see a number fo Austin 7s in the car park...

The next Open Day is likely to be next May...

Hugh