The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedo Needle
I’m having difficulty removing the needle so I can swap the face.
I’ve got a little gadget to pull it off but it’s stuck solid 
Is it splined ?
No, they are not splined. I think that they are a split collar, but I do know that they are quite a tight fit.i have removed a couple when applying new dial faces and the needles were hard to shift.

Regards,

Jamie
Not sure I know what you mean regarding split collar
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think it is splined.

It might be worth joining and asking on the Facebook 'Smiths Magnetic and Governor Speedometers' Private Group page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2151645781645054
That’s a great idea
Thanks
(04-09-2022, 04:50 PM)k8207418 Wrote: Not sure I know what you mean regarding split collar

By a split collar, I meant that there is a very short tube beneath the needle and that the tube is cut down its length and squeezed together so that it pinches the spindle.

Remove like this - with care !!
Ok
I will give it another go but I’m gonna need a bigger gadget !
This is what I am using at the moment

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That little rivet head in the middle of the pointer is not the shaft. Your watch hand puller may not be up to the job (I have one and it didn't work for me). Using pincers looks all wrong, but by placing two bits of 'post card' between the face and the pincers protects the face. Pinch the pincers together lightly and gently rock them - just a little bit, both back and forth and side to side keeping the pressure up on the pincer handles.
Yep
Understood
I will give it a go
Many thanks