The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Knocking....
Dear all, stripping down the engine bay of Ruby this afternoon in readiness to remove the engine, having removed the starter motor, the flywheel appears to have suffered some damage.
Any ideas how or what would cause this and is this terminal for the flywheel?
The dog on the end of the starter motor does not look to be affected/damaged in anyway.
Cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What is causing you concern, Denis?
Unfortunately the photo is not as clear as I’d hoped, but all of the teeth are chewed up as if they have been clattering against something. The white edge on each tooth is the damaged area.
If you blow the pic up you can just make out the abnormalities on each tooth
It looks to be completely normal wear on a ring gear, Denis.

Absolutely nothing to worry about in my opinion.
Dennis, Have you turned the engine over on the handle with ignition off to see if there is anything in the bell housing that is causing the damage or indeed the source of the engine knocking. If nothing there can you hear the teeth catching on anything although unless something has come adrift I can’t see what would catch.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
……that’s exactly what my missus said, doh!

Just out of interest, the dog on the starter slides out pretty easily and the spring clip on the dog seems to offer no resistance in holding it in place, is it possible that the dog can come free and come in to contact with the ring whilst normal driving??
Yes. It will jangle, in my experience, not knock.

You can manipulate the spring clip by hand, but it only requires a small amount of resistance to hold it in place, normally.
The angled flat on each tooth is to aid engagement of the starter pinion, here's another for a rear mounted starter so the flat is on the other side.    
Thanks Dave, I had noted the lead in on the front edge of each tooth but it was the top front corner of the teeth that shows up white on the pic that look quite chewed up that concerned me. I have not seen the front face of the teeth since the engine was rebuilt and it was quite disturbing to see, something I had not expected.
Have now stripped the engine of all ancillaries, removed bonnet, front cowl and radiator.
Have disconnected the gearbox but it is still inside the car,
My plan is to remove the head and block from the engine in situ, to minimise the weight for me to lift out, if this is not the way to please let me know……
However when rotating the engine on the handle there is a repetitive noise from within that sounds very tinny, I have taken a video with the link to it below.
The noise on the video is magnified somewhat to what if actually is, but is clear to all.
No doubt many more questions will arise as time goes on.
Cheers Denis S

https://youtu.be/xHSkVgU9aOY