The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil leak Bad
Just when I was about to return for a road trial.
Disaster struck 
The front pulley oil leak has returned with a vengeance 
Despite following the advice to trim the seal glue in place and well oiled 
I can only guess there’s no oil thrower fitted
It’s 4 years since I built the engine and cannot remember whether I fitted one.
Or whether I knew one should be fitted
However I would like to buy a thrower any ideas who lists them 
Regards
             Tim
Further to my request for a nose cone oil thrower.
The Cornwall site mentions a steel pressing fitted to the cover.
Should my engine be fitted with one
Again where could I buy one.
I just checked the usual catalogues but don't see anyone selling new throwers - try the second-hand parts dealers (Tony Betts, for example).

The front engine cover casting has a pressed steel insert which is essentially integral with it - if someone has removed it it might explain your trouble. It's probably easier to source a new front cover casting than to try and replace the steel ring?

I'd suggest whip the engine out and investigate more closely before chasing around after the parts, which you may or may not need.

p.s. If it makes you feel any better I lost 3.5 pints of oil in half a mile while on holiday - now that's what I call "oil leak bad" :0)
I agree with Chris's post entirely. Check first to ensure the thrower is actually there (or not). You probably only need to loosen the mounting bolts, remove the  exhaust flange joint and carefully jack up the engine from below. (no need to take the engine out) the dynamo housing,and nosecone can be separated and the latter investigated. If necessary look on Ebay for a secondhand replacement. One of the advantages of the late Ruby is that they are easier to work on!
Good luck.
Bob
Many thanks for your advice gents !
If you remove the fan pulley, with care, and it's seal you should be able to see if the thrower and the fixed pressed in insert are fitted
.jpg   image1.jpg (Size: 101.81 KB / Downloads: 137)
.jpg   Nose Cones 2.jpg (Size: 163.22 KB / Downloads: 137) . I came across a housing missing the pressed in inset and made a replacement.
The question of a possible lip seal to replace the felt seal has arisen
I found this in 2020
CR 9960
Or
National 474250
Anyone confirm this is correct
Further question are all the engine nose cones the same regards the pulley seals ?

Looking at the pictures above
From memory not the same as my 3 bearing Ruby
Could be the same pulley sealing ?

Dave thanks for the pictures