The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper motor: Asking for help
Good day, dear ladies and gentlemen

I have some questions about the wiper motor, as it can be seen on the fotos.

1. Is this a genuine Austin Seven part?
2. Where is the power supply connected and in what way?
3. Ground across the wiper motor housing?
4. I can't find an on/off switch. Is that the big one on the underside?
5. What is the point of being able to operate the wiper by hand?

Thank you very much in advance, have a nice weekend you all!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That is a Vacuum Wiper and is correct for your car. It is not electrically operated. In your first photo you can see a 'tube' close to the speed adjuster. In your car that is connected to a similar shaped outlet on the inlet manifold by a rubber pipe that is nicely fitted around the pillar and scuttle. Correct for cars prior to about 1935. On hills, the wiper can slow down a lot, so the hand operating lever can allow a way to overcome the problems in poor conditions.
Various A7 parts suppliers, like The Seven Workshop, can sell you the correct length and type of pipe if you give them details of your model.
Thank you; Pete!
Now everything is clear, because there is a rubber pipe just in place. But I thought it was a sheath for an electrical wire. Ha!
I'm a little bit wiser now, thanks again Pete!
Forum member Frank Stoll from Germany has posted lots of information on the ASF Forum regarding the Lucas Vacuum Wipers including youtube videos on rebuilding them. Here's a link to one of his posts.

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...p?tid=3216
Brilliant!
Thank you very much, Jeff!
(03-09-2022, 03:18 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Forum member Frank Stoll from Germany has posted lots of information on the ASF Forum regarding the Lucas Vacuum Wipers including youtube videos on rebuilding them. Here's a link to one of his posts.

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...p?tid=3216

The articles are excellent- our President - an instrument maker- recently rebuilt a Lucas Vacuum Wiper using these instructions.
Hello,
nice to hear / read that the instructions for refurbishing a wiper motor are used and appreciated. I have already bought 4 of these little "miracles" and working on them is great fun... mostly... sometimes....  Big Grin
Regards 
Frank