The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sump studs size and thread
+1 on Helicoils. Available at reasonable cost these days from ReCoil:

Recoil® | Wire Thread Inserts & Thread Repair Kits (recoilshop.net)
Hi 

+1 from me.

Make sure you seal the helicoil in with Loctite as well as the sump bolt.  A few of the stud holes are not blind and oil finds its way down the threads.

Cheers

Howard
My advice is if you have the engine out and working on the sump is if the first couple of threads are pulled,or the bolt is a bit loose in the thread when checking is just fit a thread insert. It's much easier than trying to do it in situ.
The worst situation is when someone has previously tried to drill out a broken bolt and the hole has run and or been bodged.
I use large quantities of stepped studs and helicoils, every year.

Both work equally well, if fitted correctly, in my experience.
My experience of helicoils for the sump is you need to use a Helicoil plug tap to stop the inserts being threaded into a tapered thread as left by the normal taper tap. This is due to the holes in the crankcase being quite shallow.
A plug tap or bottom tap can be made by getting another tapered Helicoil tap and shortening it without overheating it.
I am sure others have views on this.
You can use an m8 plug tap.
Firstly, Helicoils used correctly every time. I've used them for years in all sorts of applications and they do exactly what they designed to do. Re-Coil kits are not expensive and you only, really, need five sizes at most to treat most things on a Seven. However, after that (and I'm sure I might get the wrath of some) but I don't use the traditional sump set screws any more. 1/4" BSW double ended studs, Loctited into the crankcase (with Helicoils if needed), steel washers and a 1/4" BSW Nyloc nuts are now my method of choice. Coupled with a silicone sump gasket, leaks from the sump area are a now thing of the past and the sump is easily removable (although why you'd want to is a subject for another thread Wink ) and re-fitted.

Steve
(30-08-2022, 07:29 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:  Coupled with a silicone sump gasket, leaks from the sump area are a now thing of the past and the sump is easily removable (although why you'd want to is a subject for another thread Wink ) and re-fitted.

Steve

I do the same Steve, but my one suggested modification is that with an alloy sump it’s best to shave 1/8th off both front flange corners. If you don’t then removing the sump with the engine in the car may become difficult, as I found when I needed to do this in the Wiscombe paddock between first and second practice 

Charles
Ah, youth and enthusiasm, I’d have gone home.
Alan Fairless
I have decided to go along the route of oversized bolts as there are only two threads too repair and I intend to do the job with the engine in the car. I will be using a silicone gasket. As to youthful enthusiasm that’s how the threads were stripped in the first place. My son is to strong for a light job.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.