The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It was fifty years ago today....

.jpg   Plaque copy 2.jpg (Size: 531.62 KB / Downloads: 890)  
 There seem to be very few photos of the event. This is all I have, showing us packing up in Cofton Park     
fabulous. Remarkable the low number of specials, but presumably the people in specials (club racers?) at the time wouldn't have necessarily been into this sort of event? Or was the event focus different back then?
I do not have any photographs but a very ancient cine film of the event. 
Attached is a poor effort of a screen grab showing a certain forum member in his younger days. 

Photographs Set 1 - more to follow. Click each for a higher resolution copy. In case anyone would like the original, much higher-resolution scans, they can be downloaded. Use this format in the URL box of your web browser e.g. http://www.lathes.uk/50th-1.jpg (that will download picture No. 1) or http://www.lathes.uk/50th-10.jpg (for picture No.10) etc. The final picture is No.31 http://www.lathes.uk/50th-31.jpg On a slow connection some may take a little time to appear.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brilliant photos, the second last one has my dad, brother and myself in it along with the Flockhart family. I drove my recently restored Ruby down to 50th and was delighted to take it to the 100th. Well done Tony.
Henry - did you watch the film I pointed you to last time you posted on this subject?
Set 2 Longbridge 1972

Set 3 Longbridge 1972

Set 4 Longbridge 1972

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Anyone spot a smokers hatch ?
The Tony Griffiths photos of the Golden Celebrations in 1972 are terrific. I had not seen any of them. I was entrant No.35 in a 1927 Tourer accompanied by my wife Joy and son Walter who was the just a few weeks old. He is of course 50 this year and still thinks I am slightly mad. Your third picture shows Joy and me with baby son in her arms walking between the cars on the Flying Ground at Longbridge. The event was an outstanding success with a run from Birmingham city centre to the Works and trips up the Austin Test hill. Not forgetting visiting Lickey Grange,former home of Sir Herbert. It really was one of the most memorable events of my Austin Seven experience. I am sure that the 100th anniversary event will also be looked back on in a similar nostalgic way in years to come.
Les Gammon
The smokers hatches must have been quite rare. There is possibly one on the Swallow in the second to last photo. Am I right?