The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Damper discs
Hi Folks, has anyone tried the new friction discs that were demonstrated by one of the traders at the centenary in an Austin (or any other car for that matter)? If so do you have any feedback please?
We have fitted them on our trials special. Seem to work well on the road, possibly slightly improved performance. Off road, on the tracks around us they have made quite a bit of difference and no squeeks. Yet to be fully trials tested until October but I would say on balance worth the money. Will be fitting them to our Riley over the winter as the hartfords are getting a bit tired.
what are characteristics of the discs in comparison to the contemporary supplied grey/black composite ones, and beech? Or are you talking about entire units?
See www.suspensionsupplies.co.uk/

Steve
As above - youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEUzgQbVKUU&t=7s
Fitted 2021 to race car big improvement especially on the rear no more creaking jumpy suspension and front feels more planted. Terry.
are the discs cheap enough to replace for standard road cars, or not worth the effort over well maintained beech?
£7.50 + VAT each.

Steve
Hi. Here's my thoughts:

Needed some bigger friction discs than standard to finish my special, but didn't know where they originated. A search, came up with this company, and they made them to my dimensions. I was very happy with the result, and when I drove Dad's Chummy (which seemed to be damperless), I didn't hesitate to get a set for that. This transformed the handling, but cannot say for sure that it wouldn't have been improved in other ways with the usual material.
The key thing for me, is the lack of stiction, making it so much easier to set up. 

I am aware of them being used in racing Austin 7s, but this is more difficult as the dampers are tested to their limit. On a race car there are very few opportunities to find the sweet spot, and the opportunities are normally expensive. On a road car, you can adjust them between trips to the shops.

To conclude - I am a fan. My only link to the Company is that of a happy customer.

Regards,
Colin
Fitted them to my Speedy and Pearl. Transformed them; no harsh thump when hitting potholes and the Pearl doesn't have a permanent lean to offside.

They also supply die springs for rear so can set them up correctly.

Thoroughly recommend them.

Anyone want a load of old, hardly used old style discs?!!! Big Grin