The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1926 (?) Chummy - awaiting restortion...
.... in Australia. From a Facebook post.

Attached Files
.jpg   Australian Chummy1.jpg (Size: 146.43 KB / Downloads: 409)
.jpg   Australian Chummy2.jpg (Size: 146.48 KB / Downloads: 404)
.jpg   Australian Chummy3.jpg (Size: 167.42 KB / Downloads: 409)
.jpg   Australian Chummy4.jpg (Size: 197.09 KB / Downloads: 410)
.jpg   Australian Chummy5.jpg (Size: 175.33 KB / Downloads: 412)
.jpg   Australian Chummy6.jpg (Size: 195.56 KB / Downloads: 409)
.jpg   Australian Chummy8.jpg (Size: 144.67 KB / Downloads: 416)
I like the early Roo Bars in the first picture.
Early roo bars and the outside quadrant gear change for additional,gears. Unless it’s a special with a GN solid back axle.
Now that’s what I call patina!
didnt it say that this had '36 mechanicals somewhere? Get it back on the road!
It's certainly got a 4-speed gearbox.
...and, of course, a body in steel. Were all ordinary Sevens bodied in Australia in steel?
The 'roo bar' as you call it is actually part of a platform scale the Austin is parked over. The quadrant you refer to at the side is an early trolley jack.
(25-08-2022, 10:55 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: ...and, of course, a body in steel. Were all ordinary Sevens bodied in Australia in steel?

Chummy bodies from the UK Scuttle back were steel.

I believe Holden's made panels for a few other body builders making it difficult to assign a builder.

Bill Sheehan has added a few details :

To hopefully help,  my research showed that the Oz steel doors and tubs only first appeared in late 1925 and early 1926 (mixed) and my restoration work  seemed to confirm this.  

I restored 4 or 5 bodies of that short period that had  not only the steel body over aluminium scuttle but had  local, ,central-hinged bonnets (3 instead of 2),  As the 1925 Motor Show in England showed the curved scuttle-tops and lower windscreen frame, one would expect that was to be standard, but not so.  Right up to April 1926 there was a mixture of flat-top and curved-top scuttles and  I would suggest that most of the earlier style were unloaded on the ignorant Colonials ! 

In 1926 Holdens built some all-steel Chummys to Longbridge specs, but it would be totally wrong to say that most Australian Seven bodies  were built by them, as many seem to assume these days.  Hope I have helped not confused?        
Bill Sheehan