The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DKY4A Distributor swop?
Hi, my DJ4A distributor has seen much better days and I have an ex Triumph TR2, DKY4A distributor (non vacuum advance) in excellent order, measuring them up it looks as if all I have to do is change the key on the base of the DKY to the gear from the DJ4A - looks simple enough. Not bothered about originality as it's a special (with a Ruby engine) but I do wonder if perhaps the timing advance would be too great.  
Anyone already done this? Also any more thoughts you might have would be welcome.
Thanks, John.
it definitely runs the same way?
Just checked and no, dammit, it doesn't. So I guess it would be auto retard!
Next question, who can rebuild a DJ4A ?
Some useful references in this thread: http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...0&cmd=show  Also I believe the Standard motor club may have new distributors of the correct orientation; though you would need to be a member...or know someone who is  Wink
Try the Distributor Doctor you can find him easy enough on the internet
John, I went through lots of lists and discovered a later Lucas 60s unit which ran the same way and bought a couple of new old stock units on the basis of wanting something reliable for the longer term. I have a Reliant manifold and was going to explore using the vacuum facility too, as said manifold (like a cast Ruby unit but with downdraft) is plumbed for it.
That said, would it not be better finding a decent DK4A to get yours back to original spec?
Thanks everyone, I'll try looking at the baseplates and see if they can be swopped (maybe Joe Lucas didn't change anything if it didn't need to be changed) and if I find it's possible and it works I'll report back. If not then I'll see what the Distributor Doc. says.
I guess you're right about the DK4A, although if I do find a really good one I'll just have to explain to my good lady why we can't afford to heat the house for a few weeks this winter!
Martin Jay of Distributor Doc was extremely helpful with my enquiries re my DK4A refurbishment and immediately informed that my serial number indicated mine was from a A10 or A12 but as it was an 8 degree it would be ok.
Martin does not have a price list for you to refer too and is happier to discuss your own problem/issues direct and advise accordingly

Just to add I have no connection with this company!!
(22-08-2022, 09:45 AM)John Gould Wrote: ...if I do find a really good one I'll just have to explain to my good lady why we can't afford to heat the house for a few weeks this winter!

I think you'll likely find its "for a few hours" so perhaps there is a benefit in waiting as Austin 7 costs will become proportionately less.... Big Grin
I have been told by some sources here that the Distributor doctor did not provide a service they were happy with. I would however highly recommend him for parts that will allow you to fully refurbish your A7 distributor, it may not be a cheap but the parts are exactly what you will need and of good quality in my experience.
Black Art Enthusiast