The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And they keep turning up - a "1929" saloon.
The front portion of the window winds up and down. The rear portion slides. The cord is connected to the door latch.
(20-08-2022, 07:14 PM)Peter Johnson Wrote: The front portion of the window winds up and down. The rear portion slides. The cord is connected to the door latch.

Thanks Peter. That was not what I would have thought of.
(20-08-2022, 03:21 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Hi - There are statistical methods that would allow a guess of the total number of survivors to be made - similar to when a number of specimens of wildlife are captured, marked, released and then recaptured.  Depending on the number of marked ones recaptured, the total number can be estimated.  

In this case, the selection of cars on ebay is perhaps not random - they might more often be cars put on by people without direct connections to the existing Austin Seven world as they are not being offered to club members or locally?  However, from the number of cars I have seen around that don't appear on the register over the years - there could easily be double those already listed?  

Should anyone feels up to a statistical analysis of some sort, feel free... it would be interesting to  know?  Of course, some cars are 'known' but not on the register because their owners don't wish them to be.

Looking at it from the other end of the telescope,  there appears to be perhaps twelve (?) people in full-time employment providing parts and services exclusively for the Seven. I wonder what the actual total is?
(20-08-2022, 02:25 PM)Bob Olive Wrote: What is interesting is that this car UL 8812, and a further SEVEN Sevens currently on Fleabay are NOT on the Association Register, whilst a further three, which are listed there on, ARE on the Register. So, the question is, just how many Sevens do ACTUALLY survive? Just a thought… but impossible to know, or even guess.

If they are for sale, send them in, Bob! They are in absolute public domain and are fair game for listing, even if just on body type and plate.
The register can't help but get to absolute figures as all the cars go eventually through a sales cycle as a result of people lasting less long than cars!
There is a projection for the Nippies and 65s from 10 years back on the aus7in.wordpress.com site but I agree with Colin - in many cases they seem to still be in one piece somewhere and survival could be 60% or so by the time lost/re-identified chassis come back into the list of plausible originals. Likewise Ulsters - although these seem more able to be hidden over long periods of time, generationally.
It would make a cracking trials car or Ulster rep.
(21-08-2022, 10:53 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: It would make a cracking trials car or Ulster rep.

RK types are structurally fragile and best kept off rough terrain.
One trial with this one and the body framing would probably be reduced to a pile of woodworm dust!
Having acquired a tatty rear window blind for my 1928 RF, I am still "in the dark" as to how the mechanism and cord routing works, plus the design of the end-brackets. Any useful photos or diagrams anyone?
Terry, I've no idea if they are similar or not - but might this help? http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...1&cmd=show
Thanks Tony. Most helpful.