The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterproofing original Ruby sunroof material
I have a very original '37 mk2 Ruby with an amazingly original, unmolested interior and sunroof. The sunroof material is some sort of woven material with a waterproof covering which has mostly worn away so the covering is completely porous. I would like to retain the covering and would welcome ideas as to how to waterproof it. In the '70s I had a Wolseley 9 saloon which had similar material and I used a thick rubberised bitumen type of paint, however it did leave a textured finish to the surface which was not a consideration back then. If this subject has already been dealt with on the forum, perhaps someone could direct me to the thread. Hoping for some suggestions soon, especially looking at the weather forecast!
I wonder whether Barbour Wax Thornproof Dressing would work? It works well on wax jackets.
could you not devise a tight fitting shower cap for use whenever you weren't moving... and then keep it as is for whenever no rain about?

The thick rubberised paint could be done neatly if you used appropriate thinners, perhaps. It feels that recovering might protect the rest of your car's inner structure though...
It would be a shame to interfere with the original material which presumably been in place since leaving Longbridge.

.jpeg   B789F4EA-02A4-4FFA-8979-3C1B9F5C8A8D.jpeg (Size: 111.13 KB / Downloads: 104)
.jpeg   95C05547-E980-4244-940D-D18875B09258.jpeg (Size: 152.77 KB / Downloads: 104)
.jpeg   9AA3DBD1-597F-4065-897C-CAF252E009C7.jpeg (Size: 102.03 KB / Downloads: 104)
That original sun roof is absolutely wonderful and great reference, I can clearly see where I have made a mistake recovering mine.

I think David’s suggestion is a good one, that Barbour wax would be worth a try.
well, if it WAS Rexine, they just used to respray cellulose paint and it all recombined with the surface that was already there (fabric bodies). Perhaps you should try a corner or undersurface with some cellulose paint and if it doesnt react, go for respraying it?