The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opal Info Sought
Hi guys,

I have a query regarding my latest purchase, a May 1935 APD Tourer - a "chrome rad Opal".

What is the correct combination of steering wheel, steering column and distributor? Mine is fitted with  "RP-style" horn button, hand throttle and advance/retard levers. When I got it, only the throttle lever was connected and a DK auto-advance distributor was fitted. The trafficator are controlled by a seperate switch on the dashboard.

The Source Book is very confusing on the subject of the equipment installed in Military and Civilian PD and APD Tourers - at least I find it confusing! - and I wonder if anyone has the definite answer to the question of when a Ruby-type steering wheel and controls were introduced on the APD (if  they ever were), and what is the correct combination of bits for May 1935?

Thanks.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Late APDs certainly got the Ruby-type steering wheel, but I don't know when they were first fitted. Vans gained the Ruby-type wheel with the trafficator switch in March 1935, so I would expect the tourers to have them fitted from a similar date, but equally I can't see anyone retro-fitting the earlier type to your May car.
Thanks Mike. I had hoped to get some APD owners replying with definite dates/chassis numbers.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Have a look in the A7CA Archives. Record cards show what was changed and when including chassis numbers, also Austin spares books show change-over parts with chassis numbers.......all free to access.
Rick,

I am sure that your 'Opal' would have originally been fitted with the 'Ruby' steering wheel horn button and indicator switch.
I have APD2393 registered in July 1935 and this mostly has Ruby running gear.  Some fifteen years ago I met someone who owned  a late APD which was completely original (it had remained in the same family from new).  I took about 20 photographs (not digital) of the car showing the detailed items.  If you would like me to try and copy some these, let me know.

Ian