The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front brakes
On my 29 chummy the front brake was changed to grab onto the rear brake bar. So when braking it would pull both front/back at the same time. I was wondering what the front brake cables looked like and where they were routed. When looking at another picture I took at a Museum I found I was missing the little curved metal piece that rerouted the cable around the hand brake. Is the front cable one piece. Does it have a shroud near the ends. Can you post pics and please help. I am quite dumb in the posting of pics so if anyone can help me that would be nice so you can see the problem on my car.
Vancevr
for posting pictures I find the easiest way is to save my post as a draft then open the draft and a box appears to click and drag images. Then you can click on the box to insert the image into the text and a code appears in the text, this represents the image. Then if you preview you can see the version with your picture included.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hi Vancevr

Unfortunately the photos here are not easy to see but to answer your questions 

The front cable is one piece although you can buy front cables that have adjusters on both ends.

The cable routes over the top of a bracket (BK 10) attached to the handbrake and under a quadrant adjuster (BK 20).  The bracket attaches to the cross member with two pivots (BK14).

I have seen cables with a shroud but most do not have one.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   81208C88-BE18-487F-9EC0-12A33DCBBD08.jpeg (Size: 100.22 KB / Downloads: 244)
.jpeg   23E4984F-0577-4C04-A257-DB363B555A7D.jpeg (Size: 84.87 KB / Downloads: 242)
.jpeg   EB50F7DA-AB9D-4B92-ADC5-337058EE532D.jpeg (Size: 72.23 KB / Downloads: 242)
Where does the cable go after that. The pic I have says that it goes by the transmission. But after that I'm lost. Where could I gat bk 21 and 20?
Hi Vancevr

The cables go directly to the brake levers on the brake backplate. They easily run clear of the gearbox and radius arms.

The parts you mention are probably only available second hand or need to be fabricated specially.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Vancevr,

I'd email Tony Betts at 7 County Austins to see if he can help with second hand parts:

http://www.7ca.co.uk

Jeff.
(15-08-2022, 02:45 AM)Vancevr Wrote: On my 29 chummy the front brake was changed to grab onto the rear brake bar. So when braking it would pull both front/back at the same time. I was wondering what the front brake cables looked like and where they were routed. When looking at another picture I took at a Museum I found I was missing the little curved metal piece that rerouted the cable around the hand brake. Is the front cable one piece. Does it have a shroud near the ends. Can you post pics and please help. I am quite dumb in the posting of pics so if anyone can help me that would be nice so you can see the problem on my car.

Do you mean that the front brake cable (which should be a continuous length) goes around a curved section held in a lever attached to the footbrake cross bar ? 

If so, you will not have the handbrake attached to the front brakes unless there are two front brake cables- one as above and another clipped to it which will come around the handbrake bracket as described.