The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange dipstick??
Hi,

I've just finished re-assembling my engine, and I realised I didn't know whether the line on my dipstick was the max or the min.
I found a post definitively describing dip stick lengths, and mine is not the same!
The engine is front starter, angled oil filler.... (high compression 34 or 36 I think?)

It seems like the mark is most likely a "low" mark, and that I should fill to the point where the 2nd side of the split pin starts....
(I realise that the safest way is to drain and re-fill with the exact quantity, but the oil is in there now, and I'm hoping to drive to the Centenary event at Gatwick tomorrow!)

Cheers,

James
Hi James. The max line on mine is about 3 1/4" from the ring and that sits flush with where the collar is on yours. Although overall mine is longer, there's no minimum mark. I would say that you're correct in assuming your top mark is where the shorter section of the split pin is.

[attachment=19442

.jpg   Screenshot_20220813-203434_Gallery.jpg (Size: 95.74 KB / Downloads: 142)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks - better put a bit more oil in then! (the oil pressure has been fine, so there has been just enough!